Win XP installation - fatal error

I am doing a complete reinstall of windows xp on a desktop computer - deleting everything on the hard disk & starting from scratch. Win XP had become very unstable but the system had been working fine otherwise.

I was well into the install process when I received the following fatal error message
Fatal Error
An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. Data error (cyclic redundance check). If you are installing form a CD there might be a problem with the disc; try cleaning the disk or using another disc.

In the Setup log file is the next message:
Error: SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN"on line 4.

I followed the instructions given here - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpinstall/thread/baf7233b-740b-4b67-a6e9-0bd1e6e68234 - to boot to the Windows CD, restart setup & choose Repair a Windows XP installation. I select the DVD drive as the boot device but it always goes to the message "setup is being restarted" and it goes through the whole error procedure again. I am unable to access the CD or HDD independently as it always goes to restart setup.

Please HELP

PS. Oh, and cleaning the disk didn't achieve anything either

Question Info

Last updated December 8, 2018 Views 5,876 Applies to:
BUMPing in desperate hopes of some sort of reply or assistance.

I have discovered (after hours of searching) a couple of things to try but cannot even attempt them until I can prevent the endless, apparently unbreakable loop of the install/setup process.

Please, Please, Please - the computer is completely unuseable as it is
 -
How can I prevent setup from restarting after each reboot?
Then, at least I can access the hard drive and try something else

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Boot from the winxp cd, delete all partitions, reboot, restart the installation

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

That is exactly what I have done - several times - or attempted at any rate.

I select the Drive with the Win XP CD as boot device, then setup restarts - every time, - many, many times. The CD drive light flashes for a bit, then setup restarts without giving any options .

The message "setup is being restarted" is displayed, yet again, and it goes through the whole error procedure again.

Sorry this didn't help.

That is exactly what I have done - several times - or attempted at any rate.

I select the Drive with the Win XP CD as boot device, then setup restarts - every time, - many, many times. The CD drive light flashes for a bit, then setup restarts without giving any options .

The message "setup is being restarted" is displayed, yet again, and it goes through the whole error procedure again.

What I did was to insert my WIN 98SE Start Up Floppy and let XP Pro restart.  I'm not sure what went on or if the missing I386 file was on the floppy disk, but the XP Pro program hit the floppy and the rest of the install went as normal.  Hope this may help.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.