.net framework 1.1 installer error while initializing

Windows XP Professional SP3 up-to-date

While trying to install .NET Framework 1.1 using the file dotnetfx.exe, I get a not very helpful pop-up window labeled "Microsoft .NET Framework Setup" and which reads "An error occurred while Windows Installer was initializing. Setup will now close."

What happened beforehand is that I got a message indicating a problem with .NET Framework 1.1 when I ran the .NET Framework Setup Verification Utility, so I ran the .NET Framework Setup Cleanup Utility. Then I followed the instructions at this Microsoft site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922377

First I tried just removing .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 2 (forgot the SP number but I am up-to-date on all Microsoft updates). Then I used the second method recommended in KB922377 which removed .NET Framework 3.0 and 3.5 as well. I restarted my PC many times along the way.

Anyway, now I have no .NET Frameworks installed and several of my programs which depend on them no longer work. I'm thinking about formatting my HD and doing a clean install with the slipstreamed Windows XP Professional SP3 installation disc I made. Other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated December 4, 2019 Views 9,439 Applies to:

My bad. :(

I didn't follow this instruction in KB922377: "Click Start , click Run , type msiexec /regserver , and then click OK . Restart the computer." Typing msiexec regserver was what was needed. Hope this helps other people.

Work for and trust the powerful few. What's best for them is best for you.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks a lot men!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.