Is Windows 7 Upgrade right for Windows XP

I want to put Windows 7 on my Windows XP desktop.  I have Windows 7 on my laptop and need them to work together on a network.  I've read a lot of reviews stating that Windows7 Upgrade would be a good choice.  Is this true?  I do not want to put all that money into something that will not work.  Thanks so much!

Answer
Answer

Hi Sher,

I would recommend an upgrade to Windows 7 to get the best/smoothest network experience.

Read more about windows 7 networking here :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/File-sharing-essentials

Not to mention that Windows 7 has a lot of nice features and functions that you probably already has experienced on your windows 7 computer.

Regards,

Joel

Xbox Ambassador
MCC 2011 - Community Contributor
MCTS : Small Business Server 2008
Remember to mark all helpful posts and answers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

When you install Windows 7 upgrade with XP installed - it is not an upgrade in the sense that your stuff stays in place.  All of your programs and files and, well, everything will have to be installed like it was never there/copied back into place (in terms of your files.)  There is no direct path from Windows XP to Windows 7.  When you "upgrade" - it is a clean installation - no program settings, user settings, etc are carried over.  If you have Microsoft Office installed on WIndows XP - it won't be there after the upgrade - you will have to install it yourself.  If you have Firefox installed on WIndows XP before the upgrade, it won't be there when you are done - you will have to install it yourself.  Etc...

As far as sharing files between the Windows XP and Windows 7 machine - that is not too big of a deal.  You simply share out a folder on the Windows XP desktop, make sure the Windows Firewall on the XP desktop is allowing File & Printer sharing to the local area network and then map that folder using your Windows 7 laptop (given what you have, I assume that is your setup.)  If there is a request for a username/password when you map the drive you shared, it'll be the one on the Windows XP Desktop.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 162 Applies to: