I receive the following stop error when trying to install Windows XP: Stop: 0x0000007B

I need help with this error code:  Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7C85524,0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x000000000)

I'm a Microsoft Answers noob. I have an old computer I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP on.  It's a Dell XPS Dimension 3 (3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4, 1G RAM).  It won't boot normally or in Safe Mode.  I have tried using Fixmbr, Fixboot, Bootcfg /rebuild, chkdsk /r, Memtest86, Killdisk.  I have tried installing using another hard drive (which leads me to believe it might be a hardware issue).  It gave the same error code, I believe, although I didn't write it down.  The only thing I've found that I haven't tried is "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting" since it says that it won't work on OEM devices.  The error code is Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7C85524,0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x000000000).  I tried installing Ubuntu on both drives and they installed and worked properly.  I don't know what else to try except hardware troubleshooting, although I'm not too good with hardware issues.  If you have any recommendations that might put me closer to a resolution I would greatly appreciate it!  

P.S.  Windows XP actually ran on the second hard drive I tried (which is currently the drive in the machine right now).  I installed it and it booted straight into Windows.  Yay!  I rebooted this setup many times with no problems.  But I had an issue with Microsoft Security Essentials updating so I thought a clean install would be better.  In retrospect I wish I had tried harder to fix that issue but I didn't.  The first hard drive incurred a Windows crash that caused me to upgrade to a Windows 7 machine.  This was over 1.5 years ago.  I just thought the full back story might help.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 586 Applies to:
Answer

I wanted to post this update to help people that may experience this problem in the future.  I finally got it to work.  After many combinations and permutations, I ended up having a “NTLDR is missing” error message.  I used this link

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

I followed the instructions, made sure I had a version of Windows XP installed on the hard drive [after using Killdisk many times], and changed the boot preference to Drive>SATA operation>RAID Autodetect/ATA.  I booted the FixNTLDRiso disk and after the first run rebooted and VOILA!  My computer booted into Windows.  Yay!!

After installing all the Windows updates its still working like a charm.  Hope this helps!!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi,

Did this PC originally have Vista or Win7 installed?

I have seen the 0x0000007B BSOD caused by trying to install XP to a hard drive whilst BIOS is designating the drive as AHCI instead of IDE. XP does not have native AHCI drivers and the consequence is a 7B stop.

If BIOS is set to AHCI, change the BIOS setting to IDE/ATA.

There are other options but research on the Dell website leads me to suspect that these might prove problematical. Can you confirm whether or not your PC has a floppy disk drive (the Dell picture makes me think it doesn't).

Tricky

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.