Future Windows XP activation support

Hi, Ive just purchased the retail version of Windows XP, how long into the future will I get support for re-activation because of hardware failure or upgrading etc. I have so many programs that I still use but will only run on Windows XP and I don't rate virtual PC software to ran older programs, also is it a wise idea to buy such an old OS, thanks.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2018 Views 5,985 Applies to:
You will always be able to activate a genuine Windows XP license unless Microsoft announces otherwise.
Windows Expert - Consumer

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Microsoft has always stated that:

"Microsoft will also support the activation of Windows XP throughout its life and will likely provide an update that turns activation off at the end of the product's lifecycle so users would no longer be required to activate the product."

I have no reason to believe that they would not honor this.

John
Programmers are either not taught about Occam's razor or they forgot about it the following day.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your replies, it is most reassuring. As it's support ends in 2014 I thought it might be impossible to re-activate it if I wanted to change some hardware or my motherboard failed, but after researching further and your comments any doubts have been quashed, thank you.

It's now a question off is it worth £200 to buy the retail version.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi;

I know this post is a bit old but I have the same concern after I heard somebody that I knows who's XP activation was refuse when they called Microsoft Support.

Will Microsoft support activation indefinitely or supply the means to disable/bypass the activation at the end of XP's life or will XP turn into a brick once this has happened?

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet
"End of support refers to the date when Microsoft no longer provides automatic fixes, updates, or online technical assistance. This is the time to make sure you have the latest available service pack installed. Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information. For more information go to Microsoft Support Lifecycle."

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
"An unsupported version of Windows will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update. These include security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software, which can steal your personal information. Windows Update also installs the latest software updates to improve the reliability of Windows—new drivers for your hardware and more. Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014. If you're running this version after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows."

Will I Be Able to Activate XP after 2014?
"The end of Windows XP support will not affect activation, but rather security updates and phone/online technical support."

Also see Microsoft Technet: WinXP activation after 4-2014 end of support?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Sorry this didn't help.

I still have a question regarding activation:

Sometimes activation gets invalidated after a hardware change, or you want to re-use your key because you have reinstalled your machine. And then you cannot re-activate over the internet (it claims the key is already in use on another machine, or something to that effect), and have to call in.

What happens after 2-2014? There will no longer be phone support, so I can't call in anymore? Will online activation just always accept my re-activation now?

Sorry this didn't help.

Activation will still be supported.  Microsoft has always stated that it would support Windows activation or that it would release a patch which would remove the need for activation.  Based on their previous statements there is no reason to believe that Microsoft would refuse to honor their commitment to continued Windows XP activation, they have always honored these kind of commitments.

Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP and no longer issue security fixes but it cannot and will not force anyone to stop using the operating system.  Do you know how many POS systems, industrial process equipment, medical diagnostic device and what not still runs on Windows XP?  Heck, there are still hundreds of thousand, if not millions of these kind of equipments that still run on operating systems earlier than Windows XP!  Microsoft would simply be shooting itself in the foot if they said that they would no longer activate Windows XP!  Do you imagine the local power plant not being able to run because a pump system controlled by a Windows XP installation could not be reinstalled and activated?  Or a factory down the road having to replace 50 million$ worth of equipment because they couldn't activate Windows XP?

John

Programmers are either not taught about Occam's razor or they forgot about it the following day.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, my motherboard battery died and XP decided to ask for new activation.

Result was, no connection to activation service...

Microsoft fails every promice that it makes.

All other computers i have changed to Linux operating system and

i recommend that to all other users.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree.  I have the same issue except with a harddrive.  I have a legal copy of XP and can't use it.  In January of 2017 Microsoft put online how to activate software via phone or internet but at the same time if you call they say they don't support XP anymore.  If you try to do via internet they won't allow access to the activation server.  I have used Open Office for over a decade for all office apps.  Works great.  I'm going to Linux also.  No more crappy Msoft.  The way they do business is nothing short of extortion.

Sorry this didn't help.

I figured it out (so far).  I'm doing this from memory so you may have to skip around to find the answers needed to input throughout this process but I think it is all here.

Follow this:

1. You will need to have ahead of time a product key code from a computer.  Yours, someone elses, whatever.  I don't know if it has to be an XP computer but try whatever you have.  It should be on a sticker on the side of your computer.

1. When the window pops up saying activation will expire in x number of days click on it or get to the activation process window some other way.  One way I have noted is: Start (bottom left), all programs, accessories, system tools, activate windows.  If none of this works let me know and I'll go through the process enough to figure it out.  I hesitate to do anything because I'm pretty sure I have it fixed and don't want to break what ain't broken. :o)

2. Once there, go through the process they provide and when it asks if you want to phone a friend or do the internet, click on the phone option.

3. Somewhere in this process it will ask you to enter your product key code that you got off a sticker on a computer.  Enter this in the boxes.

4. This will generate a new Windows XP I.D. code.  Write this down.

5. Call this number to get your new activation code.  716-871-2929.  This one worked for me but an alternate number is 800-571-2048.

6. When the computer answers follow the prompts.  One question it will ask is if you have a smart phone.  If by chance you don't have one get one or borrow one.  This makes it easy.  Say yes.

7. The automated system will ask to verify whatever it is they want verified by giving you a three digit number to enter in your phone.  Do that.

8. If all goes well hooray.  Continue on.  If not, it will give you another number.  Enter it.  I had to do this three times before it worked.  I think I even had to hang up and call again.  But once this works you've got it made.

9. Since you are on a smart phone it will ask if they can send a text with a link in it to complete the process.  Say yes.  It will also say if you got the text and link you can hang up.  Check for the text and link and if ok hang up.

10. Click on the link in your text message and follow through it.

11. When complete it will confirm if it worked.  If so, you're a happy camper.  If not, let me know.  You can email me direct if you like.  It's more likely I will get your message right away.  johnfsmahaj  yahoo  dot  com

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.