firewall/internet connection sharing (ics) service problem after xp sp3 install

I asked this question in the "Netwworking, Mail..." Forum and it was suggested that I post here.

I think this is a somewhat frequent problem but I can't determine the best course of action.

After running for some time in a very stable state with XP sp2 I purchased Office 2010 which apparently will only install with sp3.

I installed sp3 and immediately had problems.  I could not get online and when I attempted to turn on Windows firewall I got the message "windows cannot start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service"

It was suggested to me in the other forum that my security software was a potential source of the problem.  I used system restore to go back to the pre-sp3 configuration and uninstalled my security software.  I checked - Windows firewall turned on, online access was available.

I then downloaded the sp3 install .exe and installed.  I have the same problem as before.  I tried other approaches to turning on Windows Firewall.  The various error messages were essentially the same, although one included "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."  Don't know if that provides any additional information or not.

I'm dead in the water.  I just spent $400 on Office 2010 - which I need - but I can't get from sp2 to a clean sp3 install.  

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Jim

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 14,849 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

·        Did you use the removal tool prior to installing SP3?

If not then do a system restore and remove the security software and then install Windows XP Service Pack 3 on the system. Follow the steps mentioned in the article given below.

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

If the problem still persists, check that the following services are running, if any of the service is not running then, start them, do so in order:

a.       Click on Start and then click on Run.

b.      Type services.msc in the run box and then press Enter.

c.       Locate the service in the list and then right click on it and click on properties.

d.      Make the startup type as automatic.

§ Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

§ Network Connections

§ Windows Management Instrumentation

§ Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

If any of the service fails to start, then let us know the exact error message.

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It would be helpful to know the name of the security software.

Even though you had security software, it is still possible you had/have malware. SP2 has so many security holes, and there is a lot of malware out there that is capable of circumventing security software.

If you're lucky and don't have any malware, all that might be necessary is to run a special removal tool provided by the security software company (that is why we need to know which software you had been running!).

The removal tool is necessary because Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs usually does not completely remove many security programs. And as long as there are traces left, major upgrades (for instance, a Service pack upgrade) often cannot occur.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thahaseena -

I'm sorry but I don't know exactly what you are referring to re: removal tool.  Do you mean did I run the add/remove on the security software after I did the uninstall?  I did not.  I simply uninstalled the security software and then began the sp3 install.

I ran services.msc.  RPC was started, event log was started.  I did not check network connections or windows management instrumentation.  The error message when I tried to start Windows Firewall was "Could not start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

I don't know if that helps.

I have just started the sp3 removal so I cannot check again for the other services.

Jim

Sorry this didn't help.

Daavee -

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2009.  I stopped using Norton a number of years ago due to performance problems but gave IS2009 a try and have been mostly satisfied with it.  Because my system was stable for so long I refused to upgrade to the 2010 or 2011 versions, choosing rather to keep the virus definitions, etc, current but not upgrading the entire package.

I just started the sp3 removal and will try to run a system restore again to get back to my pre sp3 state...

Jim

Sorry this didn't help.

Norton interferes with both System Restore and the upgrade to SP3.

If you want to run System Restore, you need to look at this document first to disable Norton's Tamper Protection:

http://service1.symantec.com/support/sharedtech.nsf/pfdocs/2005113009323013

When it is time to reinstall SP3, try to do this in Safe Mode. If Safe Mode doesn't work, you can try configuring a Clean Boot environment:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

If neither works, you might have malware (using Norton or any program for that matter is not an iron-clad guarantee you won't get malware). Post back if there are any further problems.

By the way, once SP3 is installed, it is imperative you download and install all subsequent security patches! And keep on doing this regularly!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

error 5 : access denied

Sorry this didn't help.

I did all of the steps but when I went to Start the Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service I got the following error message:

Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.

Error 5: Access is denied.

I have XP with SP3. I know support has ended and I need a new computer and Operating system but I am, to be honest, lazy about picking out a new computer.  I have also been having a sporadic problem with a svchost.exe loading and taking up virtually 100% of my CPU time on startup. Once I stop this instance of the process through Task Manager the computer works fine except for my display settings have to be reset. And my security system, Webroot Secure Anywhere, keep notifying me that the Windows firewall is not enabled. I think the no ICS and the hanging svchost.exe process are related? Yes? No?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am experiencing the same problems as BKuss. svchost runs my computer at 100% CPU. I have to manually terminate it. ICS will not start and displays error 5 : Access Denied

RPC and WMI start OK on the same account (NETWORK SERVICES) and they work fine.

I have been running XP SP3 for years without any issues. My Norton Symantec antivirus is out of date and I don't think it does much these days, since XP support ended in 2015 I have not been receiving any definition updates.

Internet connection works for a few minutes after a reboot and then it stops.

This problem seems to have started since I installed the wannacry patch issued by Microsoft for windows XP SP3 approximately one month ago.

Sorry this didn't help.

My machine just failed with the error 1068 on ICS the same as the above - but there is no anti-virus on my system - all the other services mentioned are running.

Sorry this didn't help.

My machine just failed with the error 1068 on ICS the same as the above - but there is no anti-virus on my system - all the other services mentioned are running.

I don't know if this helps,but when I go to Properties of the ICS 'dependencies' I get:

"WBEM features not available.Upgrade WMI to newer build"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wbem-error-features-not-available.1006936/

Sorry this didn't help.