Easy Transfer Cable Detection problem

While attempting to transfer files etc. from old computer using Windows XP professional version 2002 service pack 3 to new computer using Windows 7 I get a message on old computer stating "Easy Transfer cable not detected". The cable is fine as it works with another computer.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2019 Views 16,293 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

FOR ANYONE WHO IS STILL HAVING THIS PROBLEM I FIGURED IT OUT!

Shouldn't the Microsoft Systemengineer have known this?

Here's what worked for me.

1. On your XP machine, make sure if you have Windows XP 32bit (x86) that you use/download the 32bit (x86) version of Windows Easy Transfer.

2. Install it.

3. You now have to right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties". Go to the "Hardware" tab and click "Device Manager".

3. Now that you're in "Device Manager" plug in your Easy Transfer Cable.

4. It should refresh and you should now see "Transfer Cable Devices" (mine had a question mark logo indicating that the driver hadn't been installed...) Click the little "plus sign" beside it and under should be something called "USB Easy Transfer Cable" (that's what it said for my Dynex Brand cable anyway....)

5. Right click and select "Properties". Navigate to the "Driver" tab, then click "Update Driver".

6. The "Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard" should come up. Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and click "Next"

7. Select "Search for the best driver in these locations" and also select "Include this location in the search:"

8. Now click "Browse" and navigate to the folder where Windows Easy Transfer installed to. (something likeC:\Program Files\Windows Easy Transfer 7\cable depending on your drive letter) The "cable" folder is important. That's where the driver is. Now click "ok"

9. Click "Next" and it should do a little search thing. Then when it's done it will probably say that your driver was installed. There should not be a question mark beside the name in "Device Manager" anymore.

10. Now run Windows Easy Transfer and it should recognize the cable. It should actually automatically recognize the cable now when you plug it in.

For some reason when you install Windows Easy Transfer it doesn't install the cable driver and you have to do it manually.

Now, I got a second problem with mine. It kept saying (on my Win7 machine) that it would take something rediculous like 4 hours...then on my XP machine a box would come up and say "Attempting to reconnect" and everything would stall. Turn off your screen saver, monitor shut off and sleep mode (in power settings) on both computers. If that doesn't help I also found that you need to do the transfer in sections, don't try to transfer EVERYTHING in one session. Like I did my Pictures, and when that was done I did My Music, etc...

I really hope this helps someone. Hope I hear some feedback!

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.