Can't install Windows XP SP3

On an HP w/ AMD processor that has recently had a Clean Reinstall, I can't update to Service Pack 3. Every time that I try it won't boot except for Safe Mode. If I try Windows Update I get Error 0X8007043C. At one webpage it said that I needed Framework 2.0 (I have ver 1.1). I found that but the install failed. Later I found instructions for installing Framework 4.0. That installed correctly, but when I manually installed Service Pack 3, again I could not boot. Had to restore SP2 again, third time.
Answer
Answer

Hi RegeK,

Prior to installing Windows XP SP3, you need to install the Microsoft update package for non-intel processors (AMD) to prevent an issue where the system goes into a continuous reboot loop after the installation of xp sp3.

You can download and install from the link provide below.

Microsoft  Windows XP SP3 Upgrade utility for systems with AMD Processors.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&softwareitem=pv-60484-2

Let us know if this resovled the issue by marking it as an answer..

Good luck.

Take time to let us know if the suggestion worked...or not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Windows update no longer works if you don't have Windows XP SP3 installed, especially after a clean install done with a disc that only has service pack 2. Most installation cd's only have xp sp2 so, the best practice is to have XP SP3 Copied onto a thumb drive before proceeding with reinstallation and as is the case with your system, it's advisable to also have the upgrade package for non-intel processors save in the thumb drive too. You are welcome, and thanks for the feedback.
Take time to let us know if the suggestion worked...or not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 1,291 Applies to: