After a motherboard upgrade XP is returning a XP Pro 'installation ID' according to Microsoft phone support. What now, I can't activate Windows

The computer is a Compaq that was purchased new from Frys approximately 3 years ago with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 installed on it.  It has never had a installation of XP Pro on it (I don't even have access to a copy of XP Pro).  I created a partition on the HD to install Windows 7 when it came out, and have a 'Previous version of Windows' option in the boot menu to boot to the XP side.

I recently upgraded the motherboard and when I boot into XP it says it must be activated. I had to use the phone option as XP doesn't make it to internet connectivity (irritating). I called phone support and was told the 'Installation ID' that it created is a 'Windows XP Pro' id and is not a valid key.  What now?

The computer is a Compaq that was purchased new from Frys approximately 3 years ago with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 installed on it.  It has never had a installation of XP Pro on it (I don't even have access to a copy of XP Pro).  I created a partition on the HD to install Windows 7 when it came out, and have a 'Previous version of Windows' option in the boot menu to boot to the XP side.

I recently upgraded the motherboard and when I boot into XP it says it must be activated. I had to use the phone option as XP doesn't make it to internet connectivity (irritating). I called phone support and was told the 'Installation ID' that it created is a 'Windows XP Pro' id and is not a valid key.  What now?

In any case - none of that matters (XP Professional vs. Media Center - which is just Professional with some features disabled and a new one or two literally tacked on.)

You purchased a Compaq system which came with an OEM license of Windows XP.  That OEM license was tied to the computer, which is defined essentially as the motherboard.  You did not replace the motherboard because of a defect with the same or OEM approved replacement, but you (according to you) *upgraded* the motherboard.  Your license of Windows XP is tied to that original motherboard.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/A/1/6A1647EE-3FC7-47F2-9AFE-470AD5E5D856/OEMSoftwareLicensingRulesandRestrictions.pdf

See under "Hardware Replacement"...

Generally an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer, except the motherboard, and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM Windows Desktop Operating System software.

If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM Windows Desktop Operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and new operating system software is required.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer’s warranty.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 36 Applies to: