Bug in Microsoft Security Essentials lames Windows XP

Since the end of support for Windows XP, strange things happen on some computers with the formentioned operating system using Microsoft Security Essentials.

First Microsoft informed the world that MSE would still be supported (read: updated) on XP until July 2015, but since April 10th the system tray icon of MSE has turned RED (and stays red!) to tell us after every boot up that the computer is not protected anymore because of the end of support for XP. Microsoft is not only misleading users with this message but frightening them as well. I call this unacceptable!

Secondly another - more crippling - problem has arisen. I am a professional computer engineer and maintain many desktops and laptops for my customers on a daily base: as of today (April 16th) I have seen about 12 computers on which Windows XP - after every boot up - throws up an error message referring to MSE, stating: "MsMpEng.exe application error. The instruction at "0x5a4d684d" referenced memory at "0x00000000" The memory could not be read", leaving the computer in an unusable state, because it won't go on anymore, whatever you try, and the only solution is to disable MSE or uninstall it completely (if a user who is not a computer engineer knows how to do that anyway!). This I call even more unaceptable!!

I'm not suggesting that Microsoft is doing this on purpose, but I can't imagine that this situation is coincidental.... And how is Redmond supposed to fix this problem when those computers are not responding anymore, apart from the fact that updates and hotfixes are no longer offered?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 20, 2019 Views 13,482 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

10 here today. No fix?? Other than get rid of Essentials?
Hi Jack, Maybe there is or will be a fix, but actually I'm not interested anymore in MSE and will not bother to find a solution or workaround: if Microsoft thinks that XP does not deserve proper support anymore although millions of computers are still running this operating system, then I prefer to get rid of MSE (which is not very protective anyway) and install Avast or AVG free editions. Good luck!

I had the same problem (XP Pro 32 SP3).

I uninstalled MSE, an reinstalled an earlier version of MSE from March 2014:

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0
Engine Version: 1.1.10501.0
Antivirus definition: 1.171.64.0
Antispyware definition: 1.171.64.0

It solved the access violation at 0x5a4d684d issue.

It solved the red icon issue as well.

You might want to switch Windows Updates to manual, so that the MSE application doesnt update itself without your approval ..

Hi MillKaDe, Sorry, but your solution is only a temporarely one and not safe: if you insist on using MSE, then updating is a must!
You don't have to uninstall the Microsoft Security Essentials program.  It was a bad definition / scan engine update and they released a fix already this morning.  Update your MSE definition files, reboot, and you should be fine.  If you can't update with the MSE program itself hit the Windows Update Catalog and search on  1.171.64.0

Had this issue on a bunch of Win XP systems this morning for one of my customers.  Definition update 1.171.64.0 seems to have fixed the issue for Microsoft Security Essentials running on Windows XP systems.  I downloaded it via the Windows Update Catalog site and then pulled out the

X86-all-am_delta_01c5765ad7d884b780031a7c2f72fc4c30b14094.exe

to apply to my 32-bit XP systems and the error was resolved.

I found that pushing out system center endpoint protection will correct the issue in a professional environment. We just happened to be in the process of moving to SCEP and it corrected the 20 or so PC's that we had problems with.

Hi MillKaDe, Sorry, but your solution is only a temporarely one and not safe: if you insist on using MSE, then updating is a must!

Of course its only a temporary fix.

But the previous version of the MSE application still works with the latest virus definitions - at least for now.  In a few days, MS will hopefully have fixed the issue in the MSE application.

You don't have to uninstall the Microsoft Security Essentials program.  It was a bad definition / scan engine update and they released a fix already this morning.  Update your MSE definition files, reboot, and you should be fine.  If you can't update with the MSE program itself hit the Windows Update Catalog and search on  1.171.64.0

Had this issue on a bunch of Win XP systems this morning for one of my customers.  Definition update 1.171.64.0 seems to have fixed the issue for Microsoft Security Essentials running on Windows XP systems.  I downloaded it via the Windows Update Catalog site and then pulled out the

X86-all-am_delta_01c5765ad7d884b780031a7c2f72fc4c30b14094.exe

to apply to my 32-bit XP systems and the error was resolved.

I still had the access violation with Definitions v1.171.64.0 and latest MSE.

Definitions v1.171.64.0 with previous MSE fixed the issue for me.

This fixed the issue for me.  The download is around 170MB but the file you need extracted  is only 483KB.  You still get errors the first time you logon, but if you check the times of the error messages you should see that they are historic and once you cancel them all the machine works perfectly well.

Thank you Active IT Design great post.

I too have had problems - my XP worked just fine but since MS has pulled the plug on MSE for XP my start up is 45 minutes as oposed to 3 minutes and freezes apart from the annoying flag saying my computer is unprotected.

I beleve this is a delibrate ploy to bring anyone who used MSE and XP to its knees so people will have to switch to Win 7. I have both running MSE and Avast but  Win 7 is unaffected.

The problem now is that I cannot get my XP to load properly. So I now conclude that the last updates in addition to the MSE updates has made XP  unusable .