Windows XP keyboard not recognized when trying to restore from message Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:__\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I am running Windows XP Pro I try to boot my DELL PC and get the following message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have loaded the original Windows XP disk and hit F8. This gives me several different options and I choose Repair by pressing r.

The problem is that my keyboard no longer works. r does not work nor do the arrows. It behaves as if the keyboard is not plugged in (and yes the keyboard is plugged in).

Question Info

Last updated January 24, 2019 Views 2,463 Applies to:

Hi,

-      Was your keyboard working fine without any issues earlier?

-      Is it a wired keyboard or a wireless keyboard?

-      Are the other keys working fine without any issues?

At this point of time, the only best option you have is to use a different keyboard to repair the Operating system. Once you are done with this test the problematic keyboard with a different keyboard and see if it is making any difference.

For more information, refer:

Perform a Repair Installation

Additional reference on:

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

Regards,
Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What is your system make and model?  I think Dell makes more than one kind of PC.

If the keyboard attached with a cable or built in?

Is the keyboard wireless?

If the keyboard is wired, is it a USB or PS/2 keyboard?

Why are you pressing F8?

What are the several different options you see?

It is unlikely (but not impossible) you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD since Dell does not supply them as a rule.  It is more likely that you have some kind of system recovery CD that comes with Dells (they are not the same).

A Repair Install, KB307545 or a complete reinstall of XP are not options for me when it comes to XP problems.  I have never done a repair install, used a Restore Point reinstalled XP or implemented KB307545 in my life for this or any other XP problem in my life and have fixed or helped fix this error many, many, many, many times.  It helps to recreate these kinds of problems and then actually fix them without an XP installation CD to understand what is wrong and not just start trying things.

If your keyboard is not working you need to figure out why and fix that problem.  If you have no KB you will not be able to "try" any of the other ideas anyway.

If you are not sure what you have, make your own bootable XP Recovery Console CD and be sure.

Then, let's start with this:

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown? (this includes plug pulling, power buttons and battery removal).

These can cause corruption in the file system which must be fixed before you do anything else.

If any of those events have occurred (or even if they have not occurred), you should verify the integrity of your file system before doing anything else (especially "trying" things).

It makes zero sense to start trying to start trying to edit or copy files around on a hard disk that has a corrupted file system so this must be fixed first using the XP chkdsk program, and running chkdsk on your drives may resolve your issue entirely.  

Use the XP Recovery Console to verify the file system on your HDD and correct any problems and then try to boot your system - this may be all you need to do.  Or, you are welcome to just start trying things that might work.

Boot into the Windows Recovery Console using a bootable XP installation CD.

If you have no bootable XP media (or are not sure what you have) create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD and be sure.

This is not the same as any recovery disks that might have come a store bought system.  

You can make a bootable Recovery Console CD by downloading an ISO file and burning it to a CD.

The bootable ISO image file you need to download is called:

xp_rec_con.iso 

Download the ISO file from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ueyyzfymmig

Use a new CD and this free and easy program to burn your ISO file and create your bootable CD:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Here are some instructions for ImgBurn:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It would be a good idea to test your bootable CD on a computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk.  These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load.  If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When you boot on the CD, follow the prompts:

Press any key to boot from CD...

The Windows Setup... will proceed.

Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Select the installation you want to access (usually  1: C:\WINDOWS)

You may be asked to enter the Administrator password (usually empty).

You should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder.  This is the same as the 

C:\WINDOWS folder you see in explorer.

The Recovery Console allows basic file commands like: copy, rename, replace, delete, cd, chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

For a list of Recovery Console commands, enter help at the prompt.

First verify the integrity of your file system using the chkdsk command.

From the command prompt window run the chkdsk command on the drive where Windows is installed to try to repair any problems on the afflicted drive.

Running chkdsk is fine even if it doesn't find any problems.  It will not hurt anything to run it.

Assuming your boot drive is C, run the following command:

chkdsk C: /r

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find.  It may take a long time for chkdsk to complete or it may appear to be 'stuck'.  Be patient.  If the HDD light is still flashing, chkdsk is doing something.  Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress.  It may even appear to go backwards sometimes.

You should run chkdsk /r again until it finds no errors to correct.

Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the computer.

You do not have to adjust the BIOS again to boot on the HDD since the CD will not be present.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I need YOUR votes and points for helpful replies and Propose as Answers. I am saving up for a pony!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Divya, thank you for your help. In answer to your questions:

- yes my keyboard was working fine without any issues

- it is a wired keyboard

- no keys work when I hit this issue

I have verified that the keyboard works until I have pressed any key to boot from CD. (Note: I had selected F2 setup to change the boot preference to make sure CD/DVD was the first option) I then get the message

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

No keys work at this point and the only option I have is to switch off the PC.

I'm stuck at this point and will need to take it in to the company I use for tech support. Hopefully they can fix it otherwise I'll be saving up to replace it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is the wired keyboard USB or PS/2?

Are you not going to share the system make and model?

I need YOUR votes and points for helpful replies and Propose as Answers. I am saving up for a pony!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JoseIbarra,

thanks for your help. I have been busy following the steps you provided.

The Keyboard and mouse are wired. The PC is not a Dell as I first thought but was built by a friend and given to me several years ago. It's been working great so far.

I had installed Windows XP and it is the disk that came in the Microsoft Windows XP box that I have used to try and boot from CD. I took your suggestions and downloaded the iso file and burnt them to a CD.

I made to changes to have boot from CD/DVD as the first option.

Unfortunately I got the same result as before. On turning on the PC the keyboard and mouse light up and work. The PC shows it's

autodetecting Pri Master IDE Hard disk

autodetecting Pri Slave Not detected

autodetecting Sec Master ATAPI CDROM

autodetecting Sec Slave Not detected

Then the light on the mouse and keyboard go out. The next screen displays with the message to press any key to boot from CD....

It automatically proceeds and then I get the original message

So I'm stuck and as I've said to Divya I think I am going to have to take it in to the company I use for tech support. Hopefully they can fix it otherwise I'll be saving up to replace it.

Thank you so much for your help and pointing me to the sites for the iso and imgburn.

Sorry this didn't help.

That sounds like the system sees the CD, offers you to boot on it (and you press the any key) and then the system looks at the CD and decides the CD is not a bootable CD and tries to boot on the next dvices which would be your afflicted hard disk.

If you are not sure of what you have in the way of bootable media, you need to make the CD as indicated before and be sure what you have.

Test the new CD in a working system to be sure the rest of the Recovery Console starting process works and you understand how to get to the C:\WINDOWS prompt.

It is good to see the Recovery Console working on a working system and then you will know with certainly your CD it good.  You don't have to "do" anything on the test system - just boot on the CD, get to the C:\WINDOWS prompt successfully, type 'exit' and remove the CD.  Then you will know the CD is good.

There is some rumor or urban legend that when booting into the XP Recovery Console, you can't use a or certain USB keyboards on some certain systems of unspecified manufacturer. 

To get the keyboard to work in Recovery Console you must use a PS/2 keyboard.

Some think there is some "legacy" setting to be made in the BIOS to try that "might" work sometimes maybe (I am not a try sometimes maybe person).

If you are using a USB keyboard and have a PS/2 keyboard you can borrow, I would see if it works. 

That is what they will do at the computer shop (and then they may tell you you need to reformat your drive and reinstall XP and charge you for that any maybe toss in a new hard drive while they are at it).

Well, good luck whatever you decide to do.

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows could not start because the following file missing or corrupt:- \Windows\System32\Config\System

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original

setup CD-ROM select. 'r' at the first Screen to Start Repair 

this error keyboard and mouse not show in computer and computer Pentium3 

help mangta hai mujhe

Sorry this didn't help.