Windows update fails with error code 0x643

I have downloaded the recent Microsoft updates and all but one installed successfully.  The failing update was:  Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 (KB953297);
with an error code of  0x643.
We tried several times to install it and it keeps failing.  It was originally the 3rd update in the list to install.  After failing the first time, it was the only one we were trying to install.  We tried it after the restart required for the other updates.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 171,587 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Do I really need the failing update if I have 3.5 installed?  If not I know I can hide the 1.1 update, but how do I fix update manager from thinking I need it if I don't?

Thanks.

Doug

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Doug,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Answers Community Forums.

Try to download the standalone version of the update and save it to the desktop and try to install the install the same after putting the computer in a clean boot state.

Link to download the update KB929729:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7EEA368D-7B82-4583-8537-30351718A4E9&displaylang=en

To perform a clean boot on a computer that is running Windows Vista:

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK.

6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

7. After the computer starts, try to install the updates.

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot and then installing the update, then follow the steps on how return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual” in the following KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

You may also try to restart the computer in safe mode and try to install the standalone version of update KB929729. To start the computer in safe mode restart the computer and keep tapping F8 key. Once you see the option safe mode select it and press enter.

If the issue persists, let us know if you are able to install other updates apart from Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB929729).  Also let us know the exact error message you receive when the installation fails.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Srinivas

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Sorry this didn't help.

I downloaded the update KB929729 Anny it was 8,802kb. Then I went through the process of using msconfig for a clean boot, rebooted, clicked on the download and said yes a couple of times and I presume it started as I got no further messages and nothing showed up in the update log. Afte about an hour and the system was quiet as I determined from Task manager, I rebooted and then set the system back to normal via MSCONFIg, rebooted again and triede to install the failed update and received the same error.  "ERRORS FOUND CODE 643 WINDOWS UPDATE ENCOUNTERED AN UNEXPECTED ERROR".

Regards other updates, I've not has any more since this attempt, but I have received others after trying to put on the Net 1.1 fix and they go on ok. None though are NET fixes I do not think.

So...now what?

Thanks for the help too.

Doug

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm getting the same problem with this upgrade.  I've also tried the recommended solution but it didn't work for me either. I read somewhere that the solution is to remove .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install it because maybe the problem with the )+SP upgrade is a corrupt file in the original program - but I've not tried this because I'm afraid of causing some other problem or freezing my system somehow (or that I won't be able to find the original file anymore since 3.5 is out). It's the only upgrade I've had problems with (and I just downloaded 98 because I just upgraded). If anyone has a solution, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Doug,

Thank you for writing back to  Microsoft Vista Community Forums.

First, try to create a System Restore Point manually, so that in case, something goes wrong while performing these steps, you may always perform a System Restore.

You may access the link below and try to uninstall all the versions of the .NET Framework on the computer, and then reinstall all the versions of the .NET Framework on the computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Srinivas

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Sorry this didn't help.

i got an error installing the framework 1.1 with an error code of 643 "WindowsUpdate_00000643" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" how do i fix it because that other stuff i tryed don't work

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Try this 1st to see if it helps :

Description of the Patch Registration Cleanup Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976220/

------------------------------------------------------

If needed :

Try this - Control Panel - Windows Updates - on each Update that will not install - Click the Important Updates
or the Update itself - double click one then click View More Informations (or click on it then View on right side)

Those will take you to a page where  you can download the update. Or go here and put in the KBxxxxxx number
to download it.

Microsoft Download Center
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx

Download - SAVE - go to where you put them - Right Click on - RUN AS ADMIN

Then you can Right Click on the Update in Windows Updates and HIDE.

If you get an installer error install this version :

Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4&displaylang=en

----------------------------------------------------

Then run these :

How do I reset Windows Update components? - a Mr Fixit
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, and for Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

------------------------------------------------------------

If needed you can get free incident reports however the above should take care of it for you.

For Windows Updates - Free Incident Report

Go Here and Click -> Windows Update fails while scanning for, downloading, or installing updates
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport#tab3

Hope this helps.

Rob - Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having problems doing updates on my Windows XP Pro laptop at my place of business.

These are the following updates that will download, but not install followed by their error codes: 

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

Error Code: 0x645

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

Error Code: 0x80070645

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)

Error Code: 0x66A  

I have manually tried to download and install the .Net Framework Service Pack 2 KB974417. However, when I try to install it, I receive the message: "None of the products that are addressed by this software update are installed on this computer. Click Cancel to exit setup." 

I am not sure if this is the cause of the problem, but I had a disk consumption problem a little while ago where my C:\WINDOWS\Installer file was taking up 36G of my 55G drive.

I used the Windows Installer Clean Up utility to remove any .msp files that are not registered on the system. I accomplished this with the following command:

C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap G!

This reduced the size of the C:\WINDOWS\Installer file tremendously, but I had to reinstall all of my Office products.

I am not sure if this is related to my Windows Updates issue or not, but thought I should mention it.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

[post withdrawn]

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows XP, Media Center Edition, version 2002, SP 3

Sorry this didn't help.