Question

Q: userinit.exe-application error code. This thread is locked from future replies

userinit.exe-application error when i try to boot up what do i do i just reinstalled xp and all the serves packs 1-3 and now i cant even get to the log in help.

Answer

A:

Hi,

· Do you receive any error code with the error message?

· What is the make and model number of the computer?

This issue occurs if the Userinit key in the Windows registry has been modified or if there is incorrect shell registry settings.

Try the steps listed below and check if it helps:

Important: The instructions below contain steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756     

a.     Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Task Manager.

b.     On the File menu, click New Task (Run...).

c.     Type regedit, and then click OK.

d.     In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

e.     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

f.      In the right pane, double-click Shell.

g.     In the Value data box, type Explorer.exe, and then click OK.

h.     In the right pane, double-click Userinit.

i.      In the Value data box, type %windir%\system32\userinit.exe, and then click OK.

Note The %windir% placeholder represents the path of the Windows folder. By default, C:\WINDOWS is the path of the Windows folder.

j.      If you type an incorrect value in the Value data box, you cannot log on to the Windows XP-based computer.

k.     Exit Registry Editor.

l.      Restart the computer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2363 Last updated: February 7, 2018 Applies to: