Unable to recreate helpsvc with SC Create Command

Hi,

I have deleted helpsvc service with sc delete command but unable to recreate the same service with the command sc create helpsvc binpath= "C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs" start= "auto" depend= "RpcSs" displayname= "Help and Support Service".It succesfully recreate the service. When I go to services.exe and try to start helpsvc.exe, it displays me the following message:

"The system cannot find the file specified."

Please let me know the solution to the problem at the email address: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

I shall be thankful to you

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 993 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Well, that's pretty interesting.

Why did you delete the helpsvc service in the first place and where did you get those instructions to create the service?

Those instructions will create the service, but it will not start (with just that).

Are you just experimenting to learn about deleting and creating services from a command prompt or are you trying to solve some problem?

Please vote my posts as helpful so I can get lots of points. I am saving up for a pony! Everybody does not love Raymond.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please tell me why I am unable to start the service. What should I do to start the service.

Your help in this regard shall be highly appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joselbarra,

Please tell me why I was unable to start the service.What should I do to start the service.

Your help in this regrad shall be highly appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joselbarra,

Please tell me why I was unable to start the service.What should I do to start the service.

Your help in this regrad shall be highly appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a link from Ramesh that covers/fixes many self inflicted wounds (like yours) that occur with the Help and Support Service (I have used it many times).

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm

I just now used sc delete to delete my Help and Support center service like I think you did, rebooted to make sure it was really gone and applied the Ramesh solution and it was restored to operation without incident.

The steps indicate that you may need your original XP installation CD and since many people do not have that, you can point the installation to the Help and Support files that are already in your system from the original installation when it was working (the files are still there).

Follow the instructions from Ramesh and if you are asked for files during the installation of pchealth.inf, do this:

You may be prompted to enter your XP installation CD as it looks for the installation files.  The files are on your XP installation CD or already on your system from the original installation, you just need to tell the installation where to look.

If you don't have an XP installation CD, change the Copy file from dialogue (by clicking the Browse and Retry buttons) to point to the appropriate folder for each requested file:

dataspec.xml (c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386)

pchdt_w3.cab (c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries)

HCAppRes.dll (c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries)

atrace.dll (c:\windows\system32)

If the files you need are not in the same locations as they are on my system, search you HDD for the files you need and point the installation to the correct folder(s).

Please vote my posts as helpful so I can get lots of points. I am saving up for a pony! Everybody does not love Raymond.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JoseIbarra,

thanks for your hint to Ramesh and for your own experiences.

I have a notebook with 2 OS, one is Windows XP Home SP3, the other XP Pro SP3.

On XP Home the Help Center runs fine, on XP Pro it doesn´t run. When I try to start the helpsvc manually, I see the message "Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified modul could not be found."

I have used Ramesh´s and your helpful advices and reinstalled the Help and Support Center in Windows XP Pro.

After the restart I had the same error message as before.

In XP Pro I found in the helpsvc: "The service depends on the following system components: RPC". But the Remote Procedure Call is started automatically.

The other OS XP Home doesn´t depend on an other system component. And there the helpsvc runs fine.

What can I do, a second reinstallation or ...?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you get past the instructions from Ramesh to reinstall without incident or was there any complaining?

It is true that the HC needs RPC running and RPC should just about always be running for many other things.

The error 126 means that there is another piece missing.

The most likely candidate would be:

C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\pchsvc.dll

The pchsvc.dll file is referenced in the registry as a necessary file (they call it a Parameter) for the help service to start.  If the registry entry is present and the file itself is missing you will get that error.  Since the file is a protected file, it is kind of hard to make it just disappear naturally - Windows File Protection will want to replace it (unless WFP is also afflicted).

If the registry entry is present but pointing to some wrong file, you will also get that error.  Somehow something is missing.

You may need to do some detective work.

Now you know what file the registry is telling the HC it needs to start (it is not finding it):  pchsvc.dll, so see if you can find it on your system or not.  Usually it is in this folder with a bunch of other stuff.

C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries

If pchsvc.dll is not in the folder or the folder is missing or empty, you need to do the installation again from Ramseh's instructions (right click, blah, blah, blah).  Something has gone haywire.

If you have another XP Pro, you can just copy the file to the right spot (perhaps).

Be sure you are not infected BEFORE troubleshooting:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/

SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Have you ever used any third party applications on your system where the product description includes such descriptive phrases as:

cleaner, mechanic, detective, optimize, clean up, tune up, speed up, fix up, compact, compress, faster, power, booster, guaranteed.

Please vote my posts as helpful so I can get lots of points. I am saving up for a pony!

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks for your detailed help!

To reinstall I have used Ramesh´s guide and your hints to find dataspec.xml, pchdt_w3.cab, HCAppRes.dll and atrace.dll on my XP Pro, because I do not have a Windows XP SP3 CD. The reinstall was running without incidents. But now I have red at your posting from July, 28:

"The help and support files are already in your system from the original installation, WHEN IT WAS WORKING".

This is the point: I do not know the H&S was working after the original installation, because I never had used it before this time. So I must calculate, it was never working. In this case, the reinstallation must use a Windows XP SP3 CD. In the \Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder are not all files needed for a clean installation, e.g. racpldlg.dll. And the ServicePackFiles can also be corrupt. But I have a Win XP Pro SP2 CD. Can I use this CD or must it be SP3?

The pchsvc.dll exists in the folder binaries and in the registry it is to found in

HKLM\system\currentcontrolset, controlset1+3\services\helpsvc\Parameters

with the name Service.dll and the data %Windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\pchsvc.dll

This is all ok.

I have Avast Antivirus and Spybot running on my XP Pro, but I will make a malware scan with MBAM and SAS.

My only one idea is, to reinstall H&S from a Windows Install CD.

What do you mean?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JoseIbarra,

I´ve found a curious error which caused the Help Center problem on my Win XP Pro:

In Control Panel/System/Advanced/Environment Variables/System Variables the value for "windir" was not E:\Windows but G:\Temp. On this way all instructions with "%windir%" was redirected.

I myself have caused this error. After installing XP Pro I have putted on a separate TEMP-partition and edited the user variables and the system variables TEMP and TMP. Direct under TMP is windir and I think, I have made the mistake also to redirect windir.

Now the Help and Support Center runs fine.

Thanks for your help! 

Sorry this didn't help.

That makes perfect sense - now...  looking for the HS files in the wrong place, but exactly where you told it to look!

I was able to reproduce your situation on my system now my tampering with my WINDIR, and added it to my notes so the next time I see this, I will have another idea where to look, and be able to ask some better questions and give better guidance.

Good job, good catch - not giving up on it!

Please vote my posts as helpful so I can get lots of points. I am saving up for a pony!

Sorry this didn't help.