STOP:c000021a(Fatal System Error) The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c

original title: STOP:c000021a(Fatal System Error) The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has been shut down

Fatal blue screen error...... 

Using Windows XP on a Toshiba laptop.  Have tried restarting in various modes, not luck.  Would like to reload XP software but unable.  Not sure if that's the answer.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2019 Views 48,011 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Also on a Toshiba Laptop... No appearent reason, it BSOD's on me.

I was just finishing up a round of install-all on this machine, including updates, when I rebooted and got greeted with a BSOD.

Safe mode (command prompt) does not work anymore neither.

I'll repost what I find out... Internet says: wrong update OR corrupt harddisk data (chkdsk c: /f /v /x) OR mallware...

devnullius

bouze it

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok, this is what I learned so far...

I booted with ERD Commander. And I started a disk check. Way to late, as described here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xprepair/thread/84d1510b-b03f-4b2b-936c-430e602a5504?prof=required . That thread also contains a few useful scripts one could use on a regular basis (check your drives! and compress your files to save space) and I think it is interesting and essential for ALL Windows users...

The reason I did not start with a chkdsk c: /f /v /x was because Windows would not run the check disk at startup. I don't know why (I was planning on starting to solve it soon : ). Maybe because it came out of Domain? Security settings by group policies (if any) were very mild and I removed the remaining two with Remove Restrictions Tool. Then I found out that Perfectdisk Defragmentation and TuneUp Registry Defragmentation would start at boot-time. Before I could test if chkdsk would work I got greeted with the exact same BSOD message as per topic : )

The results of the chkdsk seem to confirm the source of the problems: file corruption. Summary? It found a few Corrupt Attribute Records in stage 1 (files). In fase 2 (indexes) it found minor inconsistencies on the drive. Lastly, in 3 (security descriptors), it found unused index entries from Index's and unused security descriptors. Also a broken mirror copy of the security descriptors data stream Data attributes were inserted back into files. Free space was marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. And (of course) free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Stage 1 errors don't happen often and is a big sign of problems. Fase 3 errors happen more commonly on disks long not being checked. Usually it's bad : )

The free space in MFT and bitmap happen on a regular base on older disks. It can cause serious havoc on your system ones you introduce new files into the system. Or move them around a bit. Maybe even compress them? : ) When catched early, it causes no serious problems. Usually easily repaired, even the damage of it.

I'll repost what I find out more, if it is still relevant for this problem. For now, I consider problem solved (and I will probably be greeted by a new BSOD on the next reboot ;>).

Peace!

Devvie

~~~ *** Email address is removed for privacy *** ~~~ Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare ------ All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! - (© 95-1 by Coredump; 2-10 by DevNullius)
bouze it

Sorry this didn't help.

chkdsk could not solve this blue screen of death.

I did, using MSDaRT / ERD for XP SP3 cd's, a System File Repair (wizard). It found autochk.exe and hidusb.sys corrupted. It repaired it. 

After reboot; still the same BSOD. 

Until now, all ntfs file system damage, although serious, does not directly cause or change the BSOD.

So it still could be a faulty update.

I am now starting the Windows XP repair installation by booting the full windows installation cd. I will repost further info.

Peace!

Devnullius

bouze it

Sorry this didn't help.

While my repair installation is running, I just found this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317189 (Error Message: Stop c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Session Manager Initialization System Process...).

In short: pending file-renaming operations will cause a BSOD IF the files to be renamed are not found anymore!

This COULD be caused by faulty filesystem AND by installing updates. 

Because the data integrity is compromised, the files are not written correctly to disk to begin with. This will make renaming them at the next reboot useless. 

This will also explain why people report all kinds of corrupted system files (like mine hidusb.sys) after the installation of updates or even software. The necessary files are not there to begin with.

So before you do a repair installation, first try to manually remove the pending rename operations out of the registry.

ERD (Emergency Repair Disk) has a build-in graphical registry editor, but even a (logged-on) command prompt has the tools to edit your registry.

Microsoft's aricle talks about Windows NT 4 - but it might be just as valid for Windows 7 too! You might want to check if the registry-key locations changed after NT 4?

Copy paste of Microsoft's article below...

Peace!

Devnullius

The error message that is listed in the "Symptoms" section of this article is often caused by pending file-rename operations that are scheduled in the Windows NT registry, but that cannot be completed.

Programs or Setup programs may schedule a file to be renamed on the next restart of Windows NT if the program is prevented from renaming a file because the file is in memory.

Windows NT checks a registry key for file-rename operations to be completed early in the boot process. If the file-rename operation cannot be completed because the file or folder does not exist, the error message that is listed in the "Symptoms" section of this article is generated.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756  How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this issue:
  1. Create a parallel installation of Windows NT.For additional information how to do so, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    259003  How and Why to Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows NT 4.0
  2. Start your computer to the parallel installation of Windows NT, and then start Registry Editor.
  3. On the Window menu, click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine.
  4. On the Registry menu, click Load Hive.
  5. Type the path to the System hive of the prior installation, typically%systemroot%\system32\config\system, and then click Open.
  6. When you are prompted for the name of the key, type TEST, and then view the following registry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST\Select
  7. Note the setting for the Current DWord value in the preceding registry key. This is typically0x1, and is represented as CURRENT:Reg_Dword:0x1. This value indicates that the "CurrentControlSet" for your original Windows NT installation corresponds to ControlSet001 in this window. A value of 2 would indicate that the "CurrentControlSet" for your original Windows NT installation would correspond to ControlSet002, and so on.
  8. Locate the following registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST\ControlSetXXX\Control\Session Manager
    where XXX is the CurrentControlSet that you identified in the preceding step.
  9. Under the Session Manager key, note and then delete any PendingFileRenameOperationsentries.
  10. Click the TEST hive, and then click Unload Hive on the Registry menu.
  11. On the Registry menu, click Load Hive.
  12. Type the path to the Software hive of the prior installation, typically%systemroot%\system32\config\Software, and then click Open.
  13. When you are prompted for the name of the key, type TEST2.
  14. Remove any PendingFileRenameOperations entries in the following registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST2\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST2\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
  15. Click the TEST2 hive, and then click Unload Hive on the Registry menu.
  16. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your original installation.

bouze it

Sorry this didn't help.

After Repair installation I got, to my BIG surprise, greeted by a BSOD. This time, it's a different kind of blue screen.

There has been a problem and windows has been shutdown to prevent further damage. Run chkdsk /f. STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBA4CF524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I will re-run a chkdsk with ERD... And system file repairs. I'll repost.

Devnullius

bouze it

Sorry this didn't help.

Re-cycling through chkdsk c: /f /v /x and system file repair wizard (on ERD) I noticed that the file autochk.exe kept corrupting. Also minor inconsistencies keep appearing.

Still, after all looked "ok" again in ERD I rebooted into Windows. This time no BSOD, just a please wait... screen (with moving mouse!). I think this is Windows way of telling me that it wants to finish up the Setup I started...

BUT before I reboot and test a second time if Windows will boot and if there are NTFS / file system problems I decided it was about time to take out Spinrite boot cd to do a real hardware analysis of the hard disk.

For the 0x0000007B error. In my case it could be caused by ntfs file system problems BUT I also noticed that the BIOS went back to it's defaults after the first reboot of the Windows installation. THIS could have caused it too!

I posted more details on ALL possible 0x00000007B errors here: http://www.pchelpforum.com/blue-screen-errors/80453-blue-screen-death-continuous-reboot-help-2.html#post533942 (copy here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xprepair/thread/351eac48-7364-40e3-a193-8e1527f98ff7?prof=required).

The next few hours my hard disk will be checked for physical hardware errors. I'll keep reposting : )

Peace!

Devnullius 

bouze it

Sorry this didn't help.

Spinrite OK'd the complete hard drive. So NO physical damage. Also, SMART logs show NO cable errors. RAM could be a problem too (and I'll check that later on), but not likely for the errors are consistent (as opposed to RAM errors which are more random).

As previously mentioned, the first non-bsod start of windows hanged on a please wait screen. Then I did my Spinrite which did not do anything, except testing hardware. The next Windows-start actually is the second try / start of Windows XP after the first start that hanged on please wait. And - as expected - this second try booted Windows XP just fine. Problem solved. More or less : )

So... What's going on? I don't know. First, I'm gonna repair and check all installed programs (for example, TuneUp Utilities will not start anymore - most likely to previous ntfs file system damage...).

Hopefully I'll get this thing stable again; but it sure seems that I'll have to schedule my checkdisk-scripts every 3 days or so... :/

Sigh

Devnullius

bouze it

Sorry this didn't help.

Sigh. Nothing new. Short summary: 

- whatever I do, ntfs filesystem damage keeps re-appearing. No faulty hardware identified : (

- it always is the same file that goes down first: autochk.exe - which is the offline version of dskchk.exe

- the computer will not be able to check the disk, dirty-flags set or not (check Kelly's Corner for reg settings)

- this computer will die : (( For now; it's Russian Roulette for my friend...

- I had problems activating. I could not substitute my ____ serial (I needed ____ to do a repair install) for my official Windows XP Pro SP3 NL license. A License with support! But not if you call MS... NO, your serial is illegal, can't help you. BUT I HAVE LEGAL SERIAL. ORIGINAL CD WAS NOT NEARBY! GRMBL. Anyways; all FREE tools available on the internet one would need to activate a Windows XP product key / serial / productid WITHOUT patching it, look here: http://www.zumodrive.com/share/6SnMOTAyNj (and if you need a patch... It's out there ; )) 

This was the first time I could not substitute the serial, so I restored a (luckily availabe) ghost backup image to restart from scratch.

This time, when post-setup started (I had the i386 folder available on C:\, which contained unattend.txt AND the key, but not the Repair/Upgrade folders/files), I could enter the official serial key and be done with. I only had to re-install and re-schedule everything :/

- more maintenance scripts here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xprepair/thread/84d1510b-b03f-4b2b-936c-430e602a5504?prof=required

Peace! And good luck to all...

Devnullius

bouze it

Sorry this didn't help.

For the cycling corruption of autochk.exe, I made a new post, here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xprepair/thread/9800c175-f190-4d1d-b2f2-139b3f09fffd .

If I find any new Blue Screens of Death, I'll edit them into this post, below.

Peace!

Devvie

EDIT(s): 

New (reproducable and solvable) Blue Screen(s) of Death;

* C0000145 Application error 0xC000005 at Windows start-up

bouze it

Sorry this didn't help.

EDIT(s): 

New (reproducable and solvable) Blue Screen(s) of Death;

* C0000145 Application error 0xC000005 at Windows start-up

New Computer.

Corruption of File 9 on Index $SII and $SDH; system file repair with ERD did not find corruption of autochk.exe. So same file numbers and indeces, different file / problem.

Also on this New Computer: ERD did not find a windows system to log on to. Starting Windows gave BSOD: 

0x00000024 (0x00190444 0x864E49B0 0xC0000102 0xC0000000) . Solving it with chkdsk c: /f /v /x gave: 

- deleted corrupt attribute list entry with type code NUMBER in File 9

- inserting index entry with ID NUMBER into index $SDH and $SII of File 9.

- cleaning up unused index entries $SDH and $SII.

Devvie

Sorry this didn't help.