Question

Q: Security Update KB2686509 will not install- error code 0xf0f4 This thread is locked from future replies

After download from Microsoft Update Security Update for Windows XP (KB2686509) won't install-what do I need to do?

Answer

A:

I struggled with this for days. Here is what was happening and what I did that worked.

faultykeyboard.log listed 24 entries of the form   kb*.kbd

I searched and no such files exist on my computer.

By running regedit and looking I found 24 abnormal looking subkeys matching the list in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Keyboard Layouts

After carefully reviewing the potential for damage I discovered that the operating system automatically restores this section of the registery if a boot failure occurs.

I then boldly deleted all subkeys of the type *.kbd from the registry. I deleted faultykeyboard.log. I rebooted then ran the update KB2686509 and it installed and rebooted the computer.

The problem is gone.  Everything works.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

Good tips in this thread. It ultimately led me to my solution. The problem computer here was also running a version of Windows XP modified with NLite.

I was able to resolve this problem by first opening the faulty keyboard log. On the problem computer, it was located in C:\Windows\system32\faultykeyboardlog.log.

The faultykeyboard.log file simply listed these four items:
KBDDV.DLL
KBDUSX.DLL
KBDUSL.DLL
KBDUSR.DLL

I went to a computer that I knew had an unmodified version of Windows XP Professional, copied those four DLL files from C:\Windows\system32. I then transfered them to the C:\Windows\system32 on the problem computer and re-ran the manual installation file for KB2686509 which can be downloaded at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29804.

Problem solved.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 43,728 Last updated: April 21, 2018 Applies to: