My computer crashes into a blue screen that quickly disappears as the computer attempts to reboot- this began after receiving several pop-up messages

Original Title:My computer crashes into a BSOD that quickly disappears as the computer attempts to reboot

I turn my computer on and when it reaches the Windows XP load screen it crashes into a BSOD that quickly disappears as the computer attempts to reboot. The BSOD disappears so quickly there is no way for me to be able to make out the exact error message. I have tried booting up in safe mode but the crash persists in the same fashion. I also accidentally destroyed my Windows XP installation disk in a move about 5 years ago, so re-installing the OS is not an option without having to dish out for a new XP CD.

Incidentally, this occurred right after my wife began experiencing problems with rogue pop-up windows while on FB. Don't know if there's a connection with the pop-ups (maybe a virus?). Anyone think they could help?

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2018 Views 3,942 Applies to:

Hi A.Paladin,

·         Do you have any external devices connected to the computer?

Method 1: Disconnect any non-essential device from the computer and reboot the computer.

Method 2: Try selecting Disable automatic restart on system failure from the Advanced Boot menu options to know the blue screen error.

a.        Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.

b.       Use the arrow keys to choose Disable automatic restart on system failure in the Windows Advanced Boot Menu Options, and then press Enter.

Method 3: Perform a disk check for any errors.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users

Microsoft Windows XP - Chkdsk

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Method 2 worked for me. It got me to the BSOD so that I could finally read the technical information section. Here it is:

*** Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0XB84B9150, 0XB850395C, 0XB8503658)

***       kdcom.dll - Address B84B9150 base at B84B8000, Datestamp 4d7df632

I can replace the .dll file on the affected HDD by connecting it to another computer, renaming the old file and copying a new file into the \system32 folder. Will this be sufficient to have windows load fully (at least in safe mode)? From what I understand the .dll file needs to be registered with the OS installed in the HDD, but since the HDD is essentially piggybacking on a separate OS, if I register the file at that point, won't the file register with the wrong OS?

Additionally, what exactly do I need to modify in the registry (if anything) in order for the OS to correctly locate this file in the future and not have this re-occur again?

Thanks for any and all help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
The problem is unlikely to be with the kdcom.dll file for if that file is missing or corrupt, the system will not boot at all and you will see messages like this:

Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

...and when you choose to boot in Safe Mode (do try and confirm), the last thing you will see loading is:

...system32\BOOTVID.dll

then you will see the same message as before:

Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

So if kdcom.dll is missing or corrupt and since the system will not boot, there will be no running of System Restore and there will be no running of sfc /scannow.  The problem is elsewhere and there is not enough information to figure out what the problem is.

And even if the system would boot, if one does not have a genuine bootable XP installation CD with the same Service Pack as the unspecified installed Service Pack (most people don't) sfc /scannow is going to complain - a lot. 

And that is not what sfc /scannow does, that is not how it works and that is not what it is for.

Finally, there is a misplaced "understanding" as the  kdcom.dll file is not a registerable DLL in the first place.  Just because a file is a DLL does not mean it needs to be or can be registered.

If you were to actually try it, you will see a message like this:

LoadLibrary("kdcom.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.

What the Microsoft engaged Support Engineer "expert" should have done is to demonstrate some real problem solving skills and gotten more fundamental system information and then the crash dump files and used the Windows Debugging tools to analyze the crash dump files - but since I have never seen them do that, I don't think they know how.

Sorry this didn't help.