I cannot log into Windows XP.

I cannot log into Windows XP.  Whenever I click on a logo of a user, including administrator, the system begins to load settings, flashes quickly, then displays a message 'saving settings' then bring me right back to the log on screen.  Does the same in windows safe mode as well.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

hi i have exactly the same problem, my partner was working ok on it last night aneverything was fine, but when she tried to boot up this morning the same thing happened to her laptop.any help will be gratefully recieved

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I wish I could get some help without it costing.  I'm on disability and $49 is a bit more than I can pay...not that MS cares.

I had some kind of error writing a file from memory while I was away from the computer.  When I came on it I clicked ok for this message.  Tried to go into anything but nothing would respond.  Rebooted and have it so if I click on user, says loading personal settings then instantly saving windows settings and waits for you to choose again to log on.  Does same in safe mode and using administrator in safe mode.  Recognizes password and requires it, just says loading, goodbye.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wish I could get some help without it costing.  I'm on disability and $49 is a bit more than I can pay...not that MS cares.

I had some kind of error writing a file from memory while I was away from the computer.  When I came on it I clicked ok for this message.  Tried to go into anything but nothing would respond.  Rebooted and have it so if I click on user, says loading personal settings then instantly saving windows settings and waits for you to choose again to log on.  Does same in safe mode and using administrator in safe mode.  Recognizes password and requires it, just says loading, goodbye.

Try using last known good configuration from advanced options menu. It is the same procedure as getting to safe mode except instead of choosing safe mode you choose last known good configuration.

How to get to Safe mode

Free computer support and diagnostics -->> http://repairbotsonline.forumotion.com/
Microsoft Partner Network Member

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried safe modes, last known good config, with and without network.  Nothing does anything.  I get the logon screen, click user, loading you settings...saving  your settings...waiting for next login.  This is a deeper problem than the on/off switch, last good boot.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is sounds like your userinit.exe file/process (that runs your login process)is afflicted.  Most likely from some malware that wants you to think that your only option is to reinstall your XP, but you never have to perform such drastic steps.  What you describe is a very common symptom of a malware infection, so first you need to get logged in and then do your malware removal.

Since userinit.exe controls the logon process for every kind of login, if it is afflicted, your system will not login in any mode - but you can sure try things if you want.  How's that working out?

If you want to fix it, you can do so from the XP Recovery Console.  If you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD you can get into RC from there.  If you don't have such a CD or are not sure what you have, make a bootable XP Recovery Console CD:

Boot into the Windows Recovery Console using a bootable XP installation CD, or create on a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.

This is not the same as any recovery disks that might have come a store bought system.  If you are not sure what kind of bootable CD you have, make a bootable XP Recovery Console CD and  be sure.

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is available by following the directions in this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic276527.html

After booting into the Recovery Console, you should be in this folder:

C:\WINDOWS

When you get that part done, report back for further instructions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried safe modes, last known good config, with and without network.  Nothing does anything.  I get the logon screen, click user, loading you settings...saving  your settings...waiting for next login.  This is a deeper problem than the on/off switch, last good boot.
Please follow the instructions below carefully. Post your results. 

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.

2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair using Recovery Console

3. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If you have not set a password for the admin account simply press enter

4. At the command prompt,

Type x: (Note that x represents the drive letter of your cd rom) > Press enter

type cd i386 > press enter >

type expand userinit.ex_  c:\windows\system32 > press enter. <--there is a space after ex_ (this assumes your primary drive is C)

5. Type exit > Press enter.

6. Restart your computer.

After inputting the third command, you should receive the message "1 file copied"...which will indicate that the operation succeeded. See if Windows will let you log on.

Regards,

Joel

Sometimes deciding which battle to fight is the toughest battle of all..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you joelj964,

Didn't work.

I logged into recovery console with setup disk as instructed.  When cd i386 entered, no such directory.  In checking the \windows\system32 dir the userinit.exe file is there.

System still does the same.  should turn on and just go into my account.  Goes to logon screen with my account listed, when I click on it says loading personal settings, quick flash then saving your settings.

Next suggestion?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you joelj964,

Didn't work.

I logged into recovery console with setup disk as instructed.  When cd i386 entered, no such directory.  In checking the \windows\system32 dir the userinit.exe file is there.

System still does the same.  should turn on and just go into my account.  Goes to logon screen with my account listed, when I click on it says loading personal settings, quick flash then saving your settings.

Next suggestion?

Download and burn the recovery console file following the instructions on the link below. Apparently your disc does not have a sp on it.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD

Sometimes deciding which battle to fight is the toughest battle of all.. Visit my forum @ http://repairbotsonline.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get into the recovery system.  I need to know what I can do to fix whatever is missing, damaged, etc. in order to get system working.

After I log in, in your earlier instruction you said to cd i386.  There is no i386 there.  So what can I do?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get into the recovery system.  I need to know what I can do to fix whatever is missing, damaged, etc. in order to get system working.

After I log in, in your earlier instruction you said to cd i386.  There is no i386 there.  So what can I do?

I am not certain what you are doing wrong here. The recovery disc does contain the i386 folder. However, I have just become aware it does not contain the userinit file. Be patient, I am working on a fix for you attempting to slipstream the file into the recovery disc, create an iso then upload it for you to download. Please let me know if you have a windows disc or not. I still want to make the recovery disc with the userinit file because i see this issue alot with people who have no disc.

Thanks for your patience.

Joel

Sometimes deciding which battle to fight is the toughest battle of all.. Visit my forum @ http://repairbotsonline.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2024 Views 7,140 Applies to: