Error - IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL in Windows XP computer.

Original Title: irql not less than or equal.

Hello.  I am running XP Pro with the newest service pack.  When I turn on the computer it goes to the safemode selection screen.  I tried all choices, it shows the windows splash screen for a few seconds and then reboots.  I put in the Windows cd and booted to it and tried repair only to get the following error/ BSoD:  IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL.   All the fixes i have found ask me to access the start menu which I cannot currently do due to not even being able to get into windows.  I have not added any new hardware or software recently.

Thanks for your help!

-Matt

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2018 Views 22,078 Applies to:

Hi Matt,

Do you receive any error code along with the error message?

Let’s follow these methods & check if the issue persists:

Method 1

You may try to boot the computer in Last Known Good Configuration. It is a recovery option that you can use to start your computer by using the most recent settings that worked.

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP

Method 2

I would suggest you to run chkdsk from Recovery Console & check if you are able to boot to the desktop correctly.

a) To boot into the Recovery Console, you may follow this link.

To start the computer and use the Recovery Console

b) At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following command & then press Enter:

chkdsk [/p] : [/r]

Note: At first, try to run chkdsk /p & check if it helps. Later, you may run chkdsk /r.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Refer:
How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Hope the information helps.
Please post back and let us know.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

that was what I was trying to explain.... I did both of those step and get the error with each one

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a link to that problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818501

Scroll to the bottom for more,also,use xps " VERIFIER" utility,type that in run,however

get more info on how to use it.Also,R.click my computer,properties,advanced,page-file,

change button,set C: to "let system manage" click set 2X,close out.Look at verifier here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Sorry this didn't help.

Since the MS Answers forum does not prompt for any system information when a new question is asked, we know absolutely nothing about your computer.  This makes troubleshooting very difficult (unless you like trying things).

Please provide additional information about your system as best you can:

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Does your system have IDE or SATA drives?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown?  (this includes plug pulling, power buttons, removing the battery, etc.)

Does the afflicted system have a working CD/DVD drive (internal or external)?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

If the system used to work properly, what do you think might have changed since the last time it did work properly?

The Microsoft Support Engineer suggestions of Method 1 will probably not help you.  LKGC is a good choice if your system was running fine, then you install some new driver(s) and then you get a BSOD on your next boot.  LKGC may let you boot to the configuration XP saved the last time it booted properly so you can uninstall the afflicted driver and see if you can get the correct driver(s).

Method 2 will not help you and If you cannot login, you will not be running Verifier either.

What you should do is get to the Advanced Boot Options manually.  Here is how to do that:

If there is a problem booting, XP is configured to automatically try to boot again and you can get stuck in a loop of just being unable to get past the boot options screen or none of the boot options you choose will work.

Sometimes when XP has a problem starting or crashes and tries to start again, it will give you a "short" menu of boot options and none of them will seem to be the right ones to get your system going again.  You've tried them all!

The options resemble the XP Advanced Boot Options menu, but the one option you need (Disable automatic restart on system failure) is not offered because XP has gone too far along in the boot process and offers you a limited number of boot options.

If that is the case, you must invoke the Advanced Boot Options menu yourself until you do see the option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

When you do get to the correct XP Advanced Options Boot menu you want to see, it has options on it like these:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

What you need to choose from that menu is the option:

Then if XP fails to boot normally, you will see an error screen with information and clues regarding the problem and then you can decide what to do next.

If you do not see the Disable automatic restart on system failure option, you need to reset your system and start tapping the F8 key on the keyboard until you do see the Disable automatic restart on system failure option. 

If you miss the F8 window of opportunity, you need to try again and start tapping the F8 key with more urgency (sooner and more frequently) until you do see Disable automatic restart on system failure, then select it.

You need to keep trying the F8 menu until you do see Disable automatic restart on system failure option, and select it.

If your system is experiencing a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), we need to know what the screen says:

Here is a BSOD example showing information you need to provide:

http://techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/downloads/images/bsod_a.jpg

Send the information pointed to with the red arrows (3-4 lines total).  

Send the entire *** STOP message line since there are clues in the 4 parameters.

If it looks like there is some kind of file name listed under the STOP message, send that line too.

Skip the boring text unless it looks important to you.  We know what a BSOD looks like, we need to know what your BSOD looks like.

Respond to the queries and report back the results from the Disable automatic restart on system failure screen and you can decide what to do next.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this took so long, it has been crazy at work and home.  The system is self built.  There were no new components added recently.

When trying a fix install:

The parameters are STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000018, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X80826976)

When trying the disable auto restart:

The parameters are STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000018, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X8051c796)

Thanks,

-Matt

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.