Question

Q: error code 2250 This thread is locked from future replies

I can not start up the Workstation service.  I keep getting service-specific error code 2250. 

I have replaced the mup.sys file per MS instructions and still get the same error when trying to start workstation service

I'm running XP service pack 3 on a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop.

Answer

A:

When trying to start the Workstation Service you are seeing a message like this:

Windows could not start the Workstation on Local Computer.  For more information, review your System Event Log.  If this is a non-Micorosft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to the service-specific error code 2550.

Then if you look in the Event Viewer System log you may find thing like this:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7024
Description:
The Workstation service terminated with service-specific error 2250 (0x8CA).

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Workstation
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    5727
Description:
Could not load Rdbss device driver.

The problem is most likely a missing or corrupt rdbss.sys file.  The rdbss.sys file should be in this folder:

c:\windows\system32\drivers

We know that XP keeps backup copies of critical system files in this folder:

c:\windows\system32\dllcache

So you can just copy the rdbss.sys file from c:\windows\system32\dllcache and paste it into this folder:

c:\windows\system32\drivers

Respond in the affirmative if asked to overwrite the current file.

If you can't find a copy of the file in the c:\windows\system32\dllcache folder, depending on your installation there may be a copy of the file in this folder:

c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

Somehow or another, you need to replace the rdbss.sys file.

See if you can start the Workstation Service after replacing the rdbss.sys file.

If you still can't find it, you can download one from my SkyDrive, but see how those other ideas work first.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 21,584 Last updated: March 30, 2018 Applies to: