Question

Q: bsod Bad_Pool_caller 0x000000c2

I got the bsod and tried reinstalling windows xp and I keep getting this error when the program gets to "Installing Devices". It then does a physical memory dump. It also has "diable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. How do I do that?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your machine prior to this issue?

The Stop 0xC2 error message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly tried to perform a memory operation. Typically, faulty device drivers or device software can cause this error message.

You may disable hardware devices such as sound, network controller fromthe BIOS (Basic Input Output System) and then try to reinstall the operating system.

Additionally, you may also disable the USB ports while installation if the keyboard and mouse are not connected through USB port to the computer.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ chipset incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/chipset can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.
Regards
Debleena S
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am running Windows XP Professional SP3; suddenly got the BSOD bad_pool_caller 0xC2 message. I can run Safe Mode, but cannot do a system restore and cannot access printer drivers to update my HP printer, hoping that is the cause. I have not installed any new hardware or software; however my child was playing a ToonTown game through the Internet several days before this fail. Also used my sd card to move a .jpg onto computer too, a day or two before the fail - the sd card slot is located within my HP Printer. But that's it.

I found KB Artilce 944904, which describes my exact problem, and contains a hotfix to solve the problem. It is located at this URL:   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944904...

THE QUESTION I HAVE IS: please review the article and tell me if it applies to a home computer with a regular ole LAN. I am not sharing files or folders with any other computers, so because the KB articles mentions "network share" I am uncertain if it applies to me. Does it apply to a home computer?? FYI, my computer is set to always receive automatic updates from Microsoft, so I probably have whatever the latest updates are; not sure if the hotfix mentioned in the KB article still applies, assuming it even works for my computer system.

Please help!! Any suggestions or input is greatly apprecated.

Hope to hear from someone soon. I can't do anything in Safe Mode :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Are any devices malfunctioning? Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information. Open Components under System Summary and click on Problem Devices. Is anything listed there?

Are there any yellow question marks in Device Manager? Right click on the My Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties, Hardware, and Device Manager. If yes what is the Device Error code?

To see Hidden Devices (Non Plug and Play Drivers) you need to select View, Show Hidden Devices. It is necessary to do this every time you open Device Manager if you need to see them.

A further complication can be Ghosted Devices –installed but not connected!

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005/04/29/display-hidden-devices-in-device-manager-xp/

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for your response...Here is what I found out following your instructions above:

====Problem Devices====
:: HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895) | HID/VID_045E&PID_00F9&MI_01&COL01\7&3835D93D&0&0000 | 37 [This could relate to my Sony camera I think]
:: HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895) ... (exactly the same as above)
:: Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint) | ACPI\PNP0F13\3&61AAA01&0 | This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drives installed.
:: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard | ACPI\PNP0303\3&61AAA01&0 | This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drives installed.

====Device Manager====
Yes, there are yellow question marks in Device Manager (I did not find all of them until you told me how to show hidden devices -- thank you!)

1 & 2. These two relate to the first two items above, Error Code 37.
3. Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard, Error Code 24.
4. Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint), Error Code 24.
5. Kl1, Error Code 24 [says "Current status: stopped" and "Startup Type: Boot"
===========
I am using a wireless mouse and keyboard, which show up in Device Manager with no problems.
I think items 3 & 4 above are installed but not connected devices.

FYI, I can start the computer in Safe Mode only (with Networking).

Suggestions??

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the link to the instructions for uninstalling devices. It didn't work. I tried several times, sometimes restarting the computer in "regular" mode, which led me back the the BSOD again, so tried again several times and restarted the computer in Safe Mode. The device drivers are still in the list with a big red X over them.

One thing I have noticed is that the RealPlayer icon shows up in the task bar at bottom of screen, blank, just before the blue screen takes over. I tried to uninstall real player, even found instructions to manually delete it and its components, but apparently I was unsuccessful. I do not know if this is part of the problem.

Any other ideas?? I very much appreciate your suggestions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Download, install and run Autoruns (freeware)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Locate the startup item for Real Player and disable or remove it. With Autoruns you can search onlike for information regarding any startup item.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gerry,

First, I would like to thank you big time for all the great help you have provided me, and thanks especially for the autoruns program. It was very helpful.

But I'm in big trouble now...(give a person a little bit of knowledge and they can screw up anything!). Found out the Real Player was not the problem. Also, I found several drivers listed with "file not found" so disabled (unchecked) all of those (not sure if I needed to). That didn't help, so I disabled (unchecked) my Kaspersky anti-virus software under "Services". That helped a little bit, because I was able to get further into my regular windows program before I got the BSOD. So I went back through Autoruns and unchecked every item that said "Kaspersky" next to it. Voila, my computer loaded without the BSOD, and for a moment I thought I was in Heaven;

H-O-W-E-V-E-R, my keyboard, mouse, and internet connection are now disabled too!! They are wireless, so I tried hooking up a wired mouse and keyboard, even restarted PC, but still nothing. I was able to get half-way to safe mode when the keyboard & mouse shutdown. I am not sure if Kaspersky disabled these, or if I accidentally unchecked something I shouldn't have. Am I off to GeekSquad now??

One other item to mention, Windows installed an automatic update after anti-virus was turned off - it took 15 minutes to install. Maybe this was the problem with some conflict between anti-virus software and the automatic update program.

What is your sage advice at this time (be kind, I break easy)??

Sorry this didn't help.

It is always sensible in this situation to run a check for malware

Boot the computer to safe mode with networking and download and install Malwarebytes (freeware version for home users only), update definitions and run in safe mode. Disable other security software whilst you are doing scans.
http://www.precisesecurity.com/how-to/ht-smodewnet.htm
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Download and run SuperAntiSpyware (Free Edition)
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Some malware is now installing proxy server entries redirecting internet connections. If you encounter this problem see Step 2 in the link which follows:
http://www.myantispyware.com/2011/02/21/how-to-remove-internet-security-essentials-virus/

At this time these are a good combination which seems to detect most malware but it can miss malware as all security software can do.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Can't get into safe mode. Keyboard and mouse shut down after I choose from the list. The keyboard only works while I press F8 and then I can scroll throught the list of options, but once I choose safe mode, I lose the keyboard and mouse functions. I assume the Internet connection disables too, since it disables on regular startup. is there a work-around?

UPDATE -- see the next posted reply, as I messed up and added a new reply instead of editing this one. I meant to edit my reply with an update... sorry...getting punchy.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 16,640 Last updated: April 26, 2018 Applies to: