Blue Screen. Windows wont start. Even on Safe Mode!

When i turned on my laptop the windows logo and everything comes up. But then the black screen comes and ask the options of starting windows normally, start in safe mode, ect. I selected Start Normally, then a blue screen comes up that says the computer has to shut down to prevent damage. It said that i had to disable any anitivirus and some other things i didnt get to read. I tried every other selection like start in safe mode, start in safe mode with command prompt, in all the other options i get the same blue screen. I really need to get this problem fixed. I have no XP installition CD, i have no recovery CD, i have nothing to work on it with so i just need to know a way around it.

Question Info

Last updated May 31, 2019 Views 15,138 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
There is no magic way around this without any installation discs. Most laptops come with a factory restore image on a special partition on the hard drive. The factory restore process is normally invoked by pressing a Function key (like F11) at computer startup. There will be a message as to which Function key to press on the screen when you first start your computer. You can also refer to your computer manual, or the computer mftr.'s website, or contact its tech support to see how to restore your computer to factory condition since each computer mftr. does it differently - sometimes even between models.

These machines also usually have a utility with which to create physical recovery discs in case the hard drive needs to be replaced or the factory restore image is somehow damaged. If you did not create the physical recovery discs and damaged the recovery image, contact the computer mftr.'s tech support to order a recovery disc set. This is normally very inexpensive, around $20-25.

Before you attempt to restore the computer, you need to determine if the hardware is good. You can test it yourself:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Hardware_Tshoot

A good troubleshooting step is to boot with a Linux Live CD. I like Knoppix, but there are others. This has two advantages: 1) if the system will run, you can back up any data that missed your last backup; and 2) running the machine with Linux helps to determine if the problems are caused by software or hardware. If the machine is unbearably slow and/or Linux can't run correctly, you know the hardware is at fault. If the machine behaves perfectly under Linux, you know that software (Windows) is at fault.

If the hardware is faulty, whether you replace it or not depends on what component is bad and the age of the machine.

If the hardware is good (perhaps Windows was severely infected by viruses/malware and that's why it won't start any more for instance), then do a restore to factory condition using whatever method was provided by the laptop mftr.

If you can't do the work yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad).

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.