Question

Q: blue screen on boot up: *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x84D8B7AB, 0xc0000102, 0x0000000)

Hi all of a sudden yesterday my pc when booting up just goes to a blue error screen and i cant acess the pc, or any of the options it tells me to do. I restart the pc but the same screen appears each time, the pc has been working fine no problems up until yesterday, its not making any noises or beeps, while it was working and neither afterwards.  Please reply from jordanHi all of a sudden yesterday my pc when booting up just goes to a blue error screen and i cant acess the pc, or any of the options it tells me to do. I restart the pc but the same screen appears each time, the pc has been working fine no problems up until yesterday, its not making any noises or beeps, while it was working and neither afterwards.  Please reply from jordan

pic link of screen error message

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordanbellamy/6014319757/in/photostream

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

· What is the make and model number of the computer?

· Were there any changes made on the computer prior to the issue?

· Which is the service pack installed?

Stop: 0x00000024 generally occurs due to the following reasons

1. The file system or partition structure is corrupted. 

2. A driver compatibility issue exists.

1.     Try boot the computer in last known good configuration. You may refer the link for steps: How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

2.     Run chkdsk tool from Windows recovery console. You may refer the links for description of the Windows XP Recovery Console: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

68 people were helped by this reply

That error indicates an issue with your NTFS file system and you can usually fix it by running chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console.

If you have no genuine bootable XP installation CD from which you can boot into the XP Recovery Console or are not sure what kind of bootable CDs you have, make a bootable XP Recovery Console CD and be sure what you have (no XP media required).

Maybe someday the XP forums "Ask a question" dialog will ask these questions automatically when a new thread is started so I do not have to ask them every single time.  It might even be possible to resolve an issue in a single reply when enough information is provided.

Thank you MS Answers, for making the resolution of simple problems as frustrating and time consuming as possible.

Please provide additional information about your system as best you can:

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown?  (this includes plug pulling, power buttons, removing the battery, etc.)

Does the afflicted system have a working CD/DVD drive (internal or external)?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

If the system used to work properly, what do you think might have changed since the last time it did work properly?

If your system has a working CD/DVD drive (let's pretend it does) here is how to make a bootable XP Recovery Console CD and run chkdsk /r from then:

Use the XP Recovery Console to verify the file system on your HDD and correct any problems and then try to boot your system - this may be all you need to do.  Or, you are welcome to just start trying things that might work.

Boot into the Windows Recovery Console using a bootable XP installation CD.

If you have no bootable XP media (or are not sure what you have) create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD and be sure.

This is not the same as any recovery disks that might have come with a store bought system.  

You can make a bootable Recovery Console CD by downloading an ISO file and burning it to a CD.

The bootable ISO image file you need to download is called:

xp_rec_con.iso 

Download the ISO file from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ueyyzfymmig

Use a new CD and this free and easy program to burn your ISO file and create your bootable CD:

http://www.imgburn.com/

When installing ImgBurn, DO NOT install the Ask toolbar.

Here are some instructions for ImgBurn:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It would be a good idea to test your bootable CD on a computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk.  These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load.  If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When you boot on the CD, follow the prompts:

Press any key to boot from CD...

The Windows Setup... will proceed.

Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Select the installation you want to access (usually  1: C:\WINDOWS)

You may be asked to enter the Administrator password (usually empty).

You should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder.  This is the same as the 

C:\WINDOWS folder you see in explorer.

The Recovery Console allows basic file commands like: copy, rename, replace, delete, cd, chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

For a list of Recovery Console commands, enter help at the prompt or read about the XP Recovery Console here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/recovery_console_cmds.mspx?mfr=true

A good idea before starting things is to first verify the integrity of your file system using the chkdsk command.

From the command prompt window run the chkdsk command on the drive where Windows is installed to try to repair any problems on the afflicted drive.

Running chkdsk is fine even if it doesn't find any problems.  It will not hurt anything to run it.

Assuming your boot drive is C, run the following command:

chkdsk C: /r

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find.  

It may take a long time for chkdsk to complete or it may appear to be 'stuck'.  Be patient.  If the HDD light is still flashing, chkdsk is doing something.  Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress.  It may even appear to go backwards sometimes.

You should run chkdsk /r again until it finds no errors to correct.

Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the computer.

You do not have to adjust the BIOS again to boot on the HDD since the CD will not be present.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

hi thanks for replying the pc came with no xp disc as it was preinstalled from the shop.  i cant remember which service pack i think it was 2/3

the pc is a packard bell imedia 1417 veloce model number WK19 1417 WK48

anti virus is norton,

i probs did a inproper shutdowh the day before usng power button.

yes it has working cdrom drive (also an newer external cdrom drive)

it was working perfectly, i did no software or hardware changes. at that time or recently.

can you please explain what each of the error codes are just so that i can finally know what the codes mean cheers.

by rebooting using the above method will me documents/files be safe?

Sorry this didn't help.

How did those Microsoft Support Engineer ideas work out?

You should be in good shape though...

Here is what the Microsoft TechNet says about your error:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc939018.aspx

Your symptom is classic after using the power button.

To most folks, it doesn't really matter to much what the article says (although I have read it a few times and it is good reading).  You just really need to what caused it and how to fix it.

There is always some risk of data loss when running chkdsk /r, but I have never had an issue with it.  If you are nervous about it, somebody else will have to tell you how to make a backup of your stuff (I choose to never go there), but that may not work either since your file system is obviously corrupted and needs repair.

But you must also look at the cause...  there was a power interruption or somebody used the power button and that is not a good idea (although sometimes you just gotta).  That would make this a self inflicted wound - not an XP problem.  That is why I always ask the power question...  The answer is almost always yes...  As a matter of fact, I ask the same questions all the time.

You are going to have to run chkdsk /r sooner or later to fix it, so it might as well be sooner.

Make the bootable RC CD as indicated, tell your Packard Bell (through the BIOS or some F key when it starts up) to look at the CD drive as the first boot device and follow the instructions.

Sorry this didn't help.

i havent tried it yet as this new pc  has took the old ones place on the desk. lol,  i will download iso file and burn it to cd :) thank for your help, i will let you know when i do it,

ive never done pc things like this, is it pretty much an easy error fix. and doxs should be fine?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have fixed it so many times, my earlier reply with instructions is just a one handed copy/paste operation for me.

The MSE reply number one begins with the word "Try", so that rules that out for me.

The MSE reply number two requires an XP CD-ROM which most people on this planet do not have so that rules that out for just about everybody that come here with a question.

If you hang around and wait, somebody else may come up with some other ideas for your entertainment!

Sorry this didn't help.

i burned the cd put it in and the blue screen came up , after turning it off and on again without cd it now comes up recovery centre and not the blue screen as before.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.
Windows XP with latest service pack and updates.
HP Pavilion desktop pc.

I get the same blue screen message on booting up, except that the second code within the parentheses changes each time I try to boot up - the other error codes are the same as above.

Cannot boot to last good configuration.

I have used the Microsoft Recovery console to run chkdsk /r with no result.

The Norton Bootable Recovery Tool run from a CD did not find any viruses.

The hardware checker on my HP Recovery Tools CD says that all hardware - hard drive, RAM, etc. are all ok.

???????
Help.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I still havent been able to figure out how to sort this, i ended up buying a new pc in july with this old one sat on the floor, now the stupid thing just wants to restore itsself to factory settings. I havent got a clue to do with it so its just sat there with tons of my files which obviously its a big bug bare! 

From jordanb

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Jordan,

At this stage, provided that a restore has not been run on the machine, I would recommend obtaining a USB drive cage so that you can put the hard disk from your old computer into it.  You would then plug the drive cage into the USB port of the new computer and recover the data from the drive.

Let us know.

Best regards,

Matthew_Ha

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 59,849 Last updated: July 16, 2018 Applies to: