Blue screen: 0x000000FC "'Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer' after installing Service Pack 3

Original title:XP Service Pack 3 upgrade errors

I downloaded XP SP3 from the website but now my computer won't work.  I keep getting a blue screen that says 'Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer' because 'an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.'  It then tells me to go to Safe Mode to uninstall the software that's causing the problem, but when I do that I get a blue screen again telling me to 'Check to make sure you've got adequate disk space.'  Any ideas?

Answer
Answer

Hi pnharris77,

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned in the link given below.

Note: Since you’re not able to boot the computer in Safe mode, you can follow method 2 from the article directly.

Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit our   Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi pnharris77,

·         Could you also provide the stop error message that you receive on a blue screen?

·         Is Service Pack 3 successfully installed on your computer?

·         Are you able to boot into Windows successfully after installing Service Pack 3?

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned below if you’re not able to boot into Windows

Method 1: Use the last known good configuration

If you can start the computer successfully, you can use the Last Known Good Configuration feature. This feature uses information that was saved the last time that you shut down the computer before the problems began. Use this feature to restore your registry settings and drivers to that previous information.

To use the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:

1.    Restart the computer.

2.    As the computer is restarting, press the F8 key repeatedly until you see the Windows Advanced Options screen.

3.    Use the arrow keys to selectLast Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

4.    If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the operating system, and then press ENTER.

Method 2: Perform a check disk from Windows Recovery Console.

Visit the link below to know how to use Windows Recovery Console to perform a check disk. Refer the section “Available command in recovery console”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Method 3: Uninstall Service Pack 3 from Windows Recovery Console

If the issue still persists beyond these steps, then uninstall Service Pack 3 from Windows Recovery Console.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

After uninstalling Service Pack 3 successfully,download Service Pack 3 and install it fromSafe mode.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2024 Views 3,490 Applies to: