Blank blue screen on startup. No cursor, no keyboard control . . .

That's before any Windows ID or logo, anything at all appears.  Hit the switch, blank blue screen , no other controls or cursor or anything.

My wife's PC, a twin to this one, is having a major problem it seems.  An HP Pavillion, Intel P4, 512 MBR, it turns on, goes directly to a blank blue screen, with no cursor or any control over the keyboard.  When a restore disc is inserted, the PC shows a message that the disc is not acceptable, or that there's not enough room on the hard drive.  When the PC is started with the R disc already in it, the message remains the same.  Of course we bought these PC's with WXP already installed, so we have only what's on the hard drive partition to resource with. 

Neither of us are what might be considered computer savvy, but we are not absolutely without any skills or knowledge either.  Self taught describes much.  I have Norton in both PC's.  Unfortunately her's is an older version, because she never seems to get around to the newest version I make available to her.  She says she has kept up with the updates, if that's even possible, I don't know.  Isn't love grand?  My question here is how do I gain entry into anything there, if the F8 thing doesn't work?  I believe this machine is just so full of garbage like bots and such, it has decided to sit it out for awhile.  And if I can get to the startup black and white page that allows me to choose what method of boot I want, I will try that to see what works.  If nothing helps, I will come back here to bother you all once again.  Thank you much in advance.  Oggy

If your computer isn't booting to the HP recovery disc, most probably there is a hardware issue with the hard drive or the motherboard. Windows isn't even loaded at that point. You can do the testing yourself or take the machine to a reputable local professional. Don't use a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Hardware_Tshoot

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2021 Views 1,659 Applies to: