Acer Aspire One, XP tries to start then goes to Blue Screen....does this over and over. Tried A Lot of ideas on other post with no luck. Can not use cd, has usb only.

My daughters acer aspire one aoa150 with windows xp will start up, it goes to screen showing it was shut down and to choose, safe mode, last known config, normal,....ect. I've tried all of them, including command promp one, but same thing happens everytime....looks like it's going to start up xp, shows xp logo, then a sudden flash of a blue screen for 1 second, then restarts itself.....it'll do it over and over and over again until you shut it off. It is an acer aspire one, it has no place to put a cd...only usb. I can barrow a xp cd off a friend, but not sure what to do once i have the cd, or if thats what i even need? please help. I can't afford to take it any place to get it fixed. Thank you for your time. 

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2018 Views 13,606 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

·         Did you restart the computer after unplugging all the external devices if any?

You will need a CD drive for further troubleshooting, or you may want to contact the manufacturer.

However, you can do the following steps to disable automatic rebooting and to get the blue screen error:

a.    Right-click My Computer and then click Properties.

b.    Click the Advanced tab.

c.    Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

d.    Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

e.    Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now make a note of the error message you get after the blue screen and let us know.

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please provide additional information about your system:

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

If you don't hvae a CD drive, that might slow you down since you are going to either boot on a CD attached via an external USB CD drive you will need to buy/rent/borrow or remove the drive temporarily and install it in another system.  I would suggest you buy an external USB DVD drive so you wil have it if you need it again some other day for something else.

Fill in the blank:  

My system was working fine until _________________________________________.

If there is a problem booting, XP is configured to automatically try to boot again and you can get stuck in a loop of just being unable to get past the boot options screen or none of the boot options you choose will work.

Sometimes when XP has a problem starting or crashes and tries to start again, it will give you a "short" menu of boot options and none of them will seem to be the right ones to get your system going again.  You've tried them all!

The options resemble the XP Advanced Boot Options menu, but the one option you need (Disable automatic restart on system failure) is not offered because XP has gone too far along in the boot process and offers you a limited number of boot options.

If that is the case, you must invoke the Advanced Boot Options menu yourself until you do see the option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

When you do get to the correct XP Advanced Options Boot menu you want to see, it has options on it like these:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

What you need to choose from that menu is the option:

Then if XP fails to boot normally, you will see an error screen with information and clues regarding the problem and then you can decide what to do next.

If you do not see the Disable automatic restart on system failure option, you need to reset your system and start tapping the F8 key on the keyboard until you do see the Disable automatic restart on system failure option. 

If you miss the F8 window of opportunity, you need to try again and start tapping the F8 key with more urgency (sooner and more frequently) until you do see Disable automatic restart on system failure, then choose it.

You need to keep trying the F8 menu until you do see Disable automatic restart on system failure option, and select it.

Depending on the severity of the error, a dump file may or may not be created, but there will always be some good information on your screen to get started.

Here is a BSOD example showing information you need to provide:

Send the information pointed to with the red arrows (3-4 lines total).  

Send the entire *** STOP message line since there are clues in the 4 parameters.

Skip the boring text unless it looks important to you.  We know what a BSOD looks like, we need to know what your BSOD looks like.

Respond to the queries and report back the results from the Disable automatic restart on system failure screen and you can decide what to do next.

Don't guess what the problem might be - figure it out and fix it. I need YOUR votes and points for helpful replies and Propose as Answers. I am saving up for a pony!

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I need YOUR votes and points for helpful replies and Propose as Answers. I am saving up for a pony!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for trying to help me! Here is all the information you needed from me. I done my best to explain everything, but if I forgot some info you needed, or if your not sure what i'm talking about, just let me know.

System Make & Model: Acer Aspire One AOA150-1029 AOXPHSTUS1, 2X512/120GB US 

XP version: Professional (Not Sure Which Service Pack though)

The Acer Aspire One Has no CD drive, it has a few USB ports.
I've read about putting XP Installation disc on a USB flash drive and using that to boot and fix the problem. I tried downloading and using WinToFlash utility to create a bootable Windows flash drive. No luck using that one though.
When i tried booting from the USB flash that was supposed to fix my problem, I still can not get it past the XP  logo....looks like it's gonna work, but ends up blue screening me again....also, when trying to boot thru USB flash drive, It shows 2 options....one has stuff to do with partitions Editing, deleting, ect....the other option that'll allow me to arrow down and select shows Boot Windows XP Proffesional. I tried selecting that and I believe it said, no partitions are set.
I don't know anything about setting partitions, so i stopped and returned to the other boot options cause i didn't want to mess anything up.
I still have the flash drive, so if you have any suggestions on still using it to boot XP, I'm willing to listen.

This is not the 1st time the acer aspire one acted up like this. My oldest daughter had it 1st. Not sure what she done to it then to make it not boot? She had a family member on her Dad's side fix it. It originally had XP home edition, but the person she had fix it put XP Proffesional on it...I have no way of asking the person. But once fixed, my oldest daughter gave the acer aspire one to my youngest daughter (oldest got her a real laptop while waiting on the acer to get fixed by her relative). So, my youngest daughter was using the acer...it was working fine...then she said she thinks it was doing an update possibly, when done she shut it down. When trying to start it back up again, it was doing this wont boot, blue screen mess.

BSOD Information you wanted me to get:

Unmountable_Boot_Volume

Technical information:
Stop: 0x000000ED (0x8634DE30, 0xC0000006, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)

Thank you so much for your time and effort helping me try to fix my daughters acer. If she didn't need the dang thing, I'd throw it out the window. But she does, and I can't afford to buy her a new one. Again, thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To boot the computer with the USB device, you need to check if the boot priority in BIOS is set for it.

Check in the user’s manual to change the settings in BIOS.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If not, you may have to contact thecomputer manufacturer for more help.

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you've had the problem a couple times, then it sounds likely that you will have it again.

Booting on a USB memory device can sometimes work, but the science of it seems rather sketchy to me and there are too many "if", "maybe", "might be" words involved.  I don't need something to try that might work maybe sometimes - I need something that I know is going to work all the time.

You can also post a message out in the Acer Support forum and see what they say.  You can't be the first Acer user with this problem of how to boot on something when your hard disk won't.

To ease the frustration around this incident and what sounds like might be future incidents (and just to make things easier all around), I just tell people to spend the ~$35 to get an external USB CD/DVD drive for booting emergencies, then they also like it even more later when they realize it comes with an extra bonus that they can now burn CD/DVDs to store their precious digital memories (pictures, documents, etc.).  Jut unplug it and put it away if you are not using it, whip it out when you need it.

You should be done with this problem by now.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I need YOUR votes and points for helpful replies and Propose as Answers. I am saving up for a pony!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an acer aspire one and my screen is blue with lines when it starts up. What do I do?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would start a new question and in the new question you create, provide this information:

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown?  (this includes plug pulling, power buttons, removing the battery, etc.)

Does the afflicted system have a working CD/DVD drive?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

What do you see that you don't think you should be seeing?

What do you not see that you think you should be seeing?

If the system used to work properly, what do you think might have changed since the last time it did work properly?

Sorry this didn't help.

i had the same issue where any booting would lead to Windows XP blue boot screen so upon booting i held alt + F10 which allowed me to reformat through the Acer eRecovery manager this was a option for me since i had very little on the drive itself only being a month old.

Sorry this didn't help.

boot

enter  setup press F2

change drive type to IDE

F10

install win

:)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you man, you've saved my life!

Sorry this didn't help.