XP SP3 suddenly rebooted now cannot load OS even with CD 0x0000007b

I plugged in my camera to the USB port on Tuesday, downloaded a couple of images, left the room for about 30 minutes, came back and my computer was showing the black screen you get during the boot process before the windows logo / loading screen appears.

My machine is an 64-bit XP Pro, SP3. It is set to ask before downloading OR installing any updates, so although update Tuesday has occured to me I am not confident this is the issue.

I am running Avast free edition antivirus and access my modem via wifi.

I expect this is a HDD issue. But of course it could also be a PSU, RAM or Motherboard issue.

I have tried:

1) unplugging all USB 

2) checking all plugs including those inside the machine

3) Booting from CD (crashes to blue screen after Windows loading screen starts up and reboots)

4) Slipstreaming the RAID drivers into a bootable copy of the Windows CD (crashes to blue screen but does not reboot at the screen, or intermittently loads right through to the "press F6 to load drivers stage - the RAID drivers load from the copy, but then it crashes to blue screen again)

5) Trying to install Windows 7 over the top (but you need to have XP running to do this!!)

6) Re-seating all the RAM

7) When I first looked into BIOS I got the message that the voltage had changed in my machine (did not specify where) so the voltage settings in the BIOS would not match the real voltage settings. This message no longer shows and I tried loading fail safe defaults in the MB (Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.), which is where you see the voltage settings. I'm not sure if I should take this seriously or accept that the OS has problems and this is a symptom of that.

8) I have checked Integrated Peripherals in the BIOS - SATA RAID / AHCI Mode is set to "RAID" and SATA Port0-3 Native Mode is set to "Enabled", which I think is correct. Also relevant might be: Onboard SATA/IDE Device: Enabled, Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (IDE).  I have not loaded Fail Safe Defaults for Integrated Peripherals because I'm scared of completely stuffing up the RAID settings.

I am seriously going crazy here. Because the machine could see the drives and showed no other errors that could have been RAM or Video Card when I tried to install Windows 7 I think it's a OS or driver issue.

So I got Nlite and created a bootable copy of the Windows XP CD. I added what I think are the correct drivers from my Gigabyte CD:

iaAHCI.inf

iaStor.inf

xraid_f.inf

Are these correct for my motherboard? Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI Socket B (LGA 1366), Intel Core i7-920

I have seen one entry in a forum that says you should remove the XP drivers during the slipstream process because they can cause problems - does anyone know if this is correct?

I also did not slipstream SP3 into the disk - could this be why it is not working?

I cannot get past the Windows logo / loading screen to use CHKDSK. I cannot start it in Safe Mode. I'm guessing a better slipstream process is my only hope of getting it going again. Any advice gratefully received.

Error code:

0x0000007b (0xFFFFFADF90C323C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000)\

Computer Specs:

Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8MB Cache *Quad Core* 2000Mhz Socket B (LGA1366) 

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI Socket B (LGA 1366) Motherboard

Corsair Dominator Triple Channel Kit 3x 2GB PC12800 DDR3 (1600Mhz) Memory CL8-8-8-24 (TR3X6G1600C8D)

2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 - Hard drives - 500GB - internal - 3.5 - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 16 MB (RAID-0)

XFX nVidia GeForce GTX285 Black Edition 1GB PCI-Express Video Card *Dual DVI

Enermax MODU82+ 625W ATX Power Supply Unit

LG GGC-H20L 16x/6x Dual Layer Multi-Format Lightscribe (Black) SATA HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Reader/DVD-Writer Combo

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition w/SP2c - License and media - 1 PC - OEM - CD

Also installed / in use

Avast free edition anti virus, windows firewall, spybot

Running at time of crash: Chrome, USB accessing camera (Canon) via Explorer (also have IE and Firefox but they were not operating), USB wifi connector

Possibly victim of Upgrade Tuesday but unlikely as set to ask before install or even download.

What am I missing?

:,(

Answer
Answer
STOP 0x7B is an INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
The hard drive is your primary boot device on most systems

First step is to check the hard drive.  Try this free procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html
- John
My website: http://www.carrona.org/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2017 Views 419 Applies to: