XP Home SP3 getting STOP 0x00000024, stuck in restart loop, Safe Modes, Recovery Consoles not accessible. I have an OEM HP PC with No setup CDs.

Problem Description: I am experiencing reboots that loops over and over again as of Dec 28th 10pm. I have WindowsXP Home SP3,HP Pavilion a500n AthlonXP 2800+, 2GB RAM, 2.1Ghz cpu. MY PC was last operable on Dec 25th around 11pm. This does not involve any server products, and my PC is just one home PC.

I wasn't doing anything specific on Saturday, just edited a video project in Vegas Pro 10b, and visitedCreativecow.netto check a forum post, and check Facebook .

On Dec 24th I installed Digital Juice's Compisitor's Toolkits 1 & 2 into Juicer 3.80, and the re-installed Boris RED 4.3.3, on the 25th I edited a video in Sony Vegas Pro 10b. My Pc was working fine. The latest hardware I installed was the week before and it was Contuor's ShuttlePRO v2 and a Wacom Bamboo tablet.

I should mention that when I booted my system on the 24th or 25th, I can't recall, I got a message just before the desktop appeared saying that "Windows could not find "/INSTAL~1/{D939a~1/setup.exe". Also, My PC started a self CHKDSK at 11am Dec 25th. Here was the result of that scan copied from the AppEvent.Evt file dated Sat. Dec. 25 2010 11:09:13am, it is 320kb large, this was the topmeost entry indicated the last entry logged by the Event Viewer:

W.i.n.l.o.g.o.n...P.J.C.I.-.X.P.-.H.O.S.T.-.0.1...C.h.e.c.k.i.n.g. .f.i.l.e. .s.y.s.t.e.m. .o.n. .C.:. .
.T.h.e. .t.y.p.e. .o.f. .t.h.e. .f.i.l.e. .s.y.s.t.e.m. .i.s. .N.T.F.S... .
.V.o.l.u.m.e. .l.a.b.e.l. .i.s. .P.A.U.L.-.W.X.P.H... .
. .
. .
.A. .d.i.s.k. .c.h.e.c.k. .h.a.s. .b.e.e.n. .s.c.h.e.d.u.l.e.d... .
.W.i.n.d.o.w.s. .w.i.l.l. .n.o.w. .c.h.e.c.k. .t.h.e. .d.i.s.k... .
.C.l.e.a.n.i.n.g. .u.p. .m.i.n.o.r. .i.n.c.o.n.s.i.s.t.e.n.c.i.e.s. .o.n. .t.h.e. .d.r.i.v.e... .
.C.l.e.a.n.i.n.g. .u.p. .1.0.0. .u.n.u.s.e.d. .i.n.d.e.x. .e.n.t.r.i.e.s. .f.r.o.m. .i.n.d.e.x. .$.S.I.I. .o.f. .f.i.l.e. .0.x.9... .
.C.l.e.a.n.i.n.g. .u.p. .1.0.0. .u.n.u.s.e.d. .i.n.d.e.x. .e.n.t.r.i.e.s. .f.r.o.m. .i.n.d.e.x. .$.S.D.H. .o.f. .f.i.l.e. .0.x.9... .
.C.l.e.a.n.i.n.g. .u.p. .1.0.0. .u.n.u.s.e.d. .s.e.c.u.r.i.t.y. .d.e.s.c.r.i.p.t.o.r.s... .
.C.H.K.D.S.K. .i.s. .v.e.r.i.f.y.i.n.g. .U.s.n. .J.o.u.r.n.a.l....... .
.U.s.n. .J.o.u.r.n.a.l. .v.e.r.i.f.i.c.a.t.i.o.n. .c.o.m.p.l.e.t.e.d... .
. .
. . .7.3.4.6.0.5.1.9. .K.B. .t.o.t.a.l. .d.i.s.k. .s.p.a.c.e... .
. . .6.6.6.1.4.8.1.6. .K.B. .i.n. .2.7.6.3.8.8. .f.i.l.e.s... .
. . . . .1.1.7.8.1.6. .K.B. .i.n. .2.9.5.1.1. .i.n.d.e.x.e.s... .
. . . . . . . . . .0. .K.B. .i.n. .b.a.d. .s.e.c.t.o.r.s... .
. . . . .4.7.5.9.0.3. .K.B. .i.n. .u.s.e. .b.y. .t.h.e. .s.y.s.t.e.m... .
. . . . . .6.5.5.3.6. .K.B. .o.c.c.u.p.i.e.d. .b.y. .t.h.e. .l.o.g. .f.i.l.e... .
. . . .6.2.5.1.9.8.4. .K.B. .a.v.a.i.l.a.b.l.e. .o.n. .d.i.s.k... .
. .
. . . . . . .4.0.9.6. .b.y.t.e.s. .i.n. .e.a.c.h. .a.l.l.o.c.a.t.i.o.n. .u.n.i.t... .
. . .1.8.3.6.5.1.2.9. .t.o.t.a.l. .a.l.l.o.c.a.t.i.o.n. .u.n.i.t.s. .o.n. .d.i.s.k... .
. . . .1.5.6.2.9.9.6. .a.l.l.o.c.a.t.i.o.n. .u.n.i.t.s. .a.v.a.i.l.a.b.l.e. .o.n. .d.i.s.k... .
. .
.I.n.t.e.r.n.a.l. .I.n.f.o.:. .
.a.0. .8.b. .0.5. .0.0. .f.7. .a.a. .0.4. .0.0. .9.d. .2.1. .0.7. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. . ...................!............. .
.2.4. .7.c. .0.0. .0.0. .0.2. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .b.0. .0.a. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. . .$.|............................. .
.4.8. .1.6. .c.a. .0.e. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .1.6. .a.4. .6.c. .1.d. .0.2. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. . .H...................l........... .
.a.0. .1.1. .8.7. .2.1. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. . .......!......................... .
.0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .4.8. .b.f. .7.d. .5.a. .0.2. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. . .................H...}.Z......... .
.9.9. .9.e. .3.6. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .a.0. .4.1. .0.7. .0.0. .a.4. .3.7. .0.4. .0.0. . .....6.............A.......7..... .
.0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .8.0. .d.8. .e.1. .0.f. .0.0. .0.0. .0.0. .4.7. .7.3. .0.0. .0.0. . .........................G.s..... .
. .
.W.i.n.d.o.w.s. .h.a.s. .f.i.n.i.s.h.e.d. .c.h.e.c.k.i.n.g. .y.o.u.r. .d.i.s.k... .
.P.l.e.a.s.e. .w.a.i.t. .w.h.i.l.e. .y.o.u.r. .c.o.m.p.u.t.e.r. .r.e.s.t.a.r.t.s...

I truncated this portion.

S.y.m.a.n.t.e.c. .A.n.t.i.V.i.r.u.s...P.J.C.I.-.X.P.-.H.O.S.T.-.0.1... .

.S.c.a.n. .s.t.a.r.t.e.d. .o.n. .s.e.l.e.c.t.e.d. .d.r.i.v.e.s. .a.n.d. .f.o.l.d.e.r.s. .a.n.d. .a.l.l. .e.x.t.e.n.s.i.o.n.s.
M.S.D.T.C...P.J.C.I.-.X.P.-.H.O.S.T.-.0.1
S.y.m.a.n.t.e.c. .A.n.t.i.V.i.r.u.s...P.J.C.I.-.X.P.-.H.O.S.T.-.0.1... .
.S.y.m.a.n.t.e.c. .A.n.t.i.V.i.r.u.s. .s.e.r.v.i.c.e.s. .s.t.a.r.t.u.p. .w.a.s. .s.u.c.c.e.s.s.f.u.l..
S.y.m.a.n.t.e.c. .A.n.t.i.V.i.r.u.s...P.J.C.I.-.X.P.-.H.O.S.T.-.0.1. .
.S.c.a.n. .C.o.m.p.l.e.t.e.:
R.i.s.k.s.:. .0 S.c.a.n.n.e.d.:. 1.2.6.7 F.i.l.e.s./.F.o.l.d.e.r.s./.D.r.i.v.e.s. .O.m.i.t.t.e.d.:. 0

There was scan that started as soon as PC loads; it revealed nothing.

I had started a full virus scan prior to going to sleep that night. When I woke up Sunday at around 3am and I noticed my Wacom Bamboo tablet light blinking off and on, the PC fan was running, and the monitor was insleep mode . Also, there was a power outage on the 26th in Downtown los Angeles becasue I remembering I had to reset my VCR, and my APC backup was on battery (yellow light). Since my PC was set for Standby and not hibernation I wonder if this was also an issue. I assumed the PC has went to sleep, but the fan was on. So I clicked my mouse and pressed a key on my keyboard: nothing happened. The last change I made was to enable hibernation. I pressed the power button: nothing happened. I pressed the button for 2 seconds and the PC shut off. At this point I did not restart it, but went back to bed.

A friend had called and said that PC was not booting up. So I went to place on Monday. I had not booted my system as of yet. At his place i discovered that after Xmas his system had entered a STOP state, whereBlue Screen appeared brefliy and his PC rebooted, when it got the Windows XPloading screen , it rebooted again.

Choosing Safe Mode (All varients),Recovery Console , Last Known Good Config, or any other option from the Startup menu just resulted in a reboot. I could not help him.

I came home that night, turned on my PC, and to my horror my PC started acting the exact same way as his. I suspected that maybe an Xmas virus or registry corruption had occured over the Xmas weekend on XP machines.

I can't explain it. The only solutions I felt safe trying was here http://kilsally.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/how-to-fix-system-error-lsass-exe-constantly-rebooting-windows-xp/to no avail. I restored my system to it's previous state (via backup files) after each solution failed. I made the changes via Ubuntu by accessing my drives and folders through it's file system, and not via Recovery Console since I cannot access it at all.

I am currently running Ubuntu and while I am able to access my system and data drives via Ubuntu's  file system, I cannot locate what is causing the reboots. When accessing the Recovery Console on my friends PC it would reboot ASAP. On my system it just hangs at the "Please wait..." message. Even HP's own Recory partition, while intact, seems to hang when being accessed via the Start up menu.

Please view my video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMQrtRHwDiw

and also my attempt at using HP Recovery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCxoseLp-lA

and a video showing accessibilty of the drive via Ubuntu and comments to that effect.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxGEHC6l9cE

These videos show what exactly is happening with my system. This is all I can give at this point. I have googled the STOP error and attempting to restore the NTFS.SYS did not help. Since I have an HP system I do not have any setup discs becasue HP created a recovery Partition for this, which reset to factory default status. But if it a file system error, then I belive ti can be resolved with a full CHDSK .f scan. But I need an XP Setup disc with the Recovery Console so I can run it. All I have are XP SP2 and the 2004 Secuirty Update CDs. And ordering a addtional XP SP3 CD won't help unless it is self booting.

MY system dual boots to Ubuntu and XP. I am using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic for the time being. XO can get to the XP Logo screen but restarts after 1-2 seconds.

Paul James Chatman

Operating System: Windows XP

|
Answer
Answer

So you are correct in thinking the OS and filesystem is damaged. And that is probably why you cannot boot. As you have said you will probably have to attach the hard drive to the new PC and run chkdsk.

As I was; I placed the disk in my new pc and win7 checked both drives and all is well. I then hit F12 to boot the XP drive by itself and ran into GRUB's (Ubuntu's bootloader) error 22, Which I expected, so I need to figure out how GRUB enumerated the drives so I can Access Ubuntu.

I was then able to use my XP recovery disc successfully to fix the MBR on the XP drive that I accidentally overwrote with GRUB while trying to fix the error 22 situation. I found out that the reason the XP recovery disc didn't work was because of GRUB modifying the MBR.

So when I accessed the XP drive directly via the F12 Boot menu it started (or resumed, since I rebooted the pc the last time) the HP xp recovery console. I exited the HP Recovery having cosen to not to reset the system and instead use system restore; it restarted and xp loaded.

However, the graphics was reset to 800x600 and it popped up a dialog box asking to activate my copy of windows XP. ???? I assume this was because it was placed inside a new machine. My logitech wireless mouse & usb keyboard didn't work, so I reset the pc. I will put the drive back in the old case. But everything is fine; since I saw my custom mouse pointer my settings seem to be intact. Plus I can play with my quad core pc at the same time. ☺

Issue resolved. Thanks guys.

Paul James Chatman

smile...anyway!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 2,839 Applies to: