WMI wont function, windows xp sp3(original ex disc has sp1) won't system restore,can't use system information,etc, any help welcome

using Dell Dimension 2350,xp home edition sp3,(xp disc has sp1 pack) wont allow me to repair or re-install the os, WMI not working( failing to find files/folder) won't go into system information, wont go into system restore, will not open ( from the desktop some programs) etc, any help would be very much appreciated, thank you , joe

Hi Josephbutterly,

·         What is the exact error message you receive when tried performing system restore or system repair?

·         What exactly happens when you try searching for files?

·         Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

Follow the suggestions listed below for a possible fix:

Method 1: You may run a Microsoft Security Scanner scan when the computer is in Safe mode with networking since viruses might have caused this issue.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Important: While scanning the hard drive if any bad sectors are found, the scanner tries to repair that sector, any data available on that might be lost.

Method 2: To fix search related issues, you may run the Microsoft Fixit:

Fix Windows Desktop Search when it crashes or not showing results

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_search/en-us

Method 3: I would suggest you to run SFC (System File Checker) scan on the computer to fix the system file errors on the computer.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

a.       Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

b.      Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue

c.       At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Also refer:

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

System File Checker (sfc)

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.mspx?mfr=true

You may also refer the following article for more information on WMI-related issues:

How to troubleshoot WMI-related issues in Windows XP SP2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875605

You may also refer the following article for more troubleshooting System Restore issues:

Troubleshooting steps for issues when you try to use the System Restore tool in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you have SP3 installed and only have a SP1 CD, you will not be doing a repair install since the Service Packs don't match. 

For a future project, you may want to take your genuine bootable XP installation CD with SP1 and "slipstream" yourself a new bootable XP installation CD with SP3 built in.  This is a fun project that we can tell you more about if you are interested and I would recommend it.

If you do not have a genuine bootable XP installation CD that has the same Service Pack as your installed Service Pack, you will also not be able to complete the Microsoft engaged Support Engineer "expert" advice to run the System File Checker.  I can assure you with 100% certainty that if you try it, you will see that SFC will complain - alot, and that has nothing to do with your issue(s).

That is just another one of their Support Engineer "expert" wild goose chases and is akin to saying "I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it", but it is one of their favorites.

I am not sure what "won't system restore" means, but there are many reasons SR will not work...  your system could be afflicted with malicious software or whatever your unspecified antimalware/antivirus software is could be preventing SR from behaving.    You need to tell us exactly what happens when you try System Restore and what your antivirus/antimalware applications are.  It could also mean that your System Restore is just so afflicted it will never work and you need to reinstall it (not reinstall XP - just the System Restore part).

I have never seen WMI or System Information report "failing to find files/folder", but I have seen it report this:

Can't Collect Information
Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software.  Windows Management files may be moved or missing.

Is that what you are seeing?

That is generally not too hard to fix either and I have never heard of or used that KB875605 to fix any WMI System Information problem but you can sure try it... keeping in mind that the KB article suggested by the Microsoft engaged Support Engineer "expert" applies to Service Pack 2 and you have Service Pack 3 installed.  That article describes how to fix a problem collecting information from a remote computer and I don't know why this "expert" suggests that either, but you can sure try it.

Do see how you get on with these ideas.

Sorry this didn't help.

thank you eledrL for the info and advice,you were correct it was" Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software.  Windows Management files may be moved or missing.".
I tried various suggestions from above and now my pc wont boot at all ( the last thing i done was locate and rename the repository in the wbem folder,this i did after stopping WMI service) i cannot even format my c drive now, it now looks as if i am or my pc is done for now, thank you once again for you and the other members help, joe

Sorry this didn't help.

I have never heard of that causing a  non boot and have done it many times, but today could be the day...

What happens when you do try to boot (besides it doesn't work)?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi again ElderL thank you for the reply, it repeatedly goes into a black background with white witting, it says: we apologise for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

it has these options:

Safe Mode
  Safe Mode with Networking
  Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally  (highlighted)

Use up and down arrow keys to move the highlight of your choice

seconds until Windows starts ( 30  )

none of these choices works it just reverts back to the same screen and even freezes sometimes for ages, the only thing i can get into is the BIOS, thank you again ElerL, joe

Sorry this didn't help.

The you should do this:

If there is a problem booting, XP is configured to automatically try to boot again and you can get stuck in a loop of just being unable to get past the boot options screen or none of the boot options you choose will work.

Sometimes when XP has a problem starting or crashes and tries to start again, it will give you a "short" menu of boot options and none of them will seem to be the right ones to get your system going again.  Something like this:

Safe Mode
Start Windows Normally

You've tried them all!

The options resemble the XP Advanced Boot Options menu, but the one option you need (Disable automatic restart on system failure) is not offered because XP has gone too far along in the boot process and offers you a limited number of boot options.

If that is the case, you must manually invoke the Advanced Boot Options menu yourself until you do see the option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

When you do get to the correct XP Advanced Options Boot menu you want to see, it has options on it like these:

Safe Mode

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

What you need to choose from that menu is the option:

Then if XP fails to boot normally, you will see an error screen with information and clues regarding the problem and then you can decide what to do next.

If you do not see the Disable automatic restart on system failure option, you need to reset your system and start tapping the F8 key on the keyboard until you do see the Disable automatic restart on system failure option. 

If you miss the F8 window of opportunity, you need to try again and start tapping the F8 key with more urgency (sooner and more frequently) until you do see Disable automatic restart on system failure, then select it.

You need to keep trying the F8 menu until you do see Disable automatic restart on system failure option, and select it.

If your system is experiencing a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), we need to know what the screen says:

Here is a BSOD example showing information you need to provide:

http://techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/downloads/images/bsod_a.jpg

Send the information pointed to with the red arrows (3-4 lines total).  

Send the entire *** STOP message line since there are clues in the 4 parameters.

If it looks like there is some kind of file name listed under the STOP message, send that line too.

Skip the boring text unless it looks important to you.  We know what a BSOD looks like, we need to know what your BSOD looks like.

Respond to the queries and report back the results from the Disable automatic restart on system failure screen and you can decide what to do next.

Sorry this didn't help.

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer, remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

technical information:

*** stop: 0xoooooo7b (0xf7a3a528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

when i restarted the computer it went back to the previous screen that i showed you in my last post. i will try all the options in the F8 (tapping screen) and let you know how i got on.

thank you ElderL,  joe

Sorry this didn't help.

hi again ElderL,, i have tried all the choices and still it just goes back to the screen that i told you about in my previous post, thank you , joe

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2017 Views 1,000 Applies to: