Windows XP system restore no administrator password

im trying to perform a system restore or re installation with XP home edition when i put it in the second screeen asks to boot from cd so i go through that blue screen were it loads the disk then i get the option of continue repair or exit i press repair and it goes to a black screen and asks what to repair i type 1 for C drive then it asks for administrator password and i dont know where we would get it or if we have on and when i type something it says invalid command type HELP for list of commands does anyone know what is the correct command or where to get administrator password from.

The procedure you (sort of) described doesn't sound like a clean install. What kind of computer do you have and what exactly are you trying to do?

Help us help you:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#how-to-write

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375 - How to Ask a Question

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i'm glad somebody else is having the same issue, i'd love an answer for this.  i have no administrator password but just pushing enter cancels system restore

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would start a new topic.

First, it does not sound like a clean install - it sounds like booting into the XP Recovery Console.

If you are using a genuine bootable XP installation CD or a bootable XP Recovery Console CD you made (no XP media required), it will ask you to choose an installation and then for the Administrator password.  (You can also configure XP not to require an Administrator password for the XP Recovery Console).

The default password for the Windows XP Administrator account is no password (blank), so after selecting your installation (usually installation 1), then you would just press the Enter key if you are prompted for a password.

If things are working as designed, you would end up at this prompt:

C:\WINDOWS

The Recovery Console allows basic file commands like: copy, rename, replace, delete, cd, chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

For a list of Recovery Console commands, enter help at the prompt or read about the XP Recovery Console here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/recovery_console_cmds.mspx?mfr=true

If this is not working, then you can figure out what is going on and fix it but we will need to know more about your system and what you are trying to do.

When you create your new topic, include the following information to help us get started:

Please provide additional information about your system:

What is the issue you need to resolve or questions you have?

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown?  (this includes plug pulling, power buttons, removing the battery, etc.)

Does the afflicted system have a working CD/DVD drive?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

What do you see that you don't think you should be seeing?

What do you not see that you think you should be seeing?

If the system used to work properly, what do you think might have changed since the last time it did work properly?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

trying to system restore please help

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2021 Views 4,984 Applies to: