Windows xp sp3 will not boot. I know why but can't fix it.

A friend of mine asked me to fix his computer, his power supply was junk and that was easy to spot. I hooked up one of my own power supplies to it to update it, he had windows xp sp2 media center.. (not sure if it was 2003 or 2005 media center) anyway i tried to download updates from update.microsoft.com and it wouldn't let me download the genuine validation tool, so I figured out it was because the time on the computer was about 5 hours off, I downloaded win xp sp3 and then he calls me to tell me that at the start up it flashes with an old desktop background of a 500 pound **** lady for a few seconds then it finishes starting with his normal desktop background and he wanted me to fix that fat lady and get her off of it. I have seen this before, In the past I accidently did the same thing to a computer I went to microsoft paint and saved that image to desktop background then I changed the picture to something decent and it went away, I had to fix it by redoing exactly as i did with the bad picture but with a nice picture and I was able to fix it. So I tried to fix my friends computer by going into paint and setting up a new background as pictures from windows viewer and the internet had no affect on that first picture. However Paint would not allow me to set anything to desktop background, it kept saying the picture had to be saved first and it was saved to the hard drive already, So paint is broken. Now I go to Google to try to figure out how to get rid of that picture at start up, I ended up going into the registry and making a change and this is where all the bad stuff started happening. I believe my path was Start the Registry Editor (click Start, Run and enter regedit.) Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies. Select Policies If Policies contains a key named ActiveDesktop, select ActiveDesktop and delete it. Now expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies. Select Policies If Policies contains a key named ActiveDesktop, select ActiveDesktop and delete it. and i also changed the registry to the files that were associated as the desktop wallpaper. What I mean is I found the file path and changed it to a different picture I had saved on the desktop. First I get a bsod saying it is the AVG 2013 I installed (the free version from cnet.download.com) So I log in to uninstall AVG and i got a message saying it was updating and can not be uninstalled Next, I found a program on google called the avg uninstaller but i never got to use it because after it downloaded the computer once again shut off. Now i started it in safe mode and tried to uninstall avg, still didnt work, i tried the uninstall and it restarted before i could try. Next, I started in safe mode again and went to my c drive and enabled a check disk recovery and restarted the computer, except now it will not boot. Under safe mode and I select safe mode and hit enter, all that white text shows up and then freezes and stays there for hours, if I try to start windows with anything other than safe mode it will go into a loop and continually restart itself including safe mode with networking and safe mode with cmd. I believe my only option is to have this hard drive put into another computer and run it as slave to access it and fix its registry and to uninstall AVG. Before all this happened i did manage to run a fresh copy of MalwareBytes, advanced system care 6, and this AVG, I got rid of some viruses and malware but I am pretty sure that was never the issue as his only problem was his old power supply going out. I have no cd's for this ALSO: He has win xp sp3 media center Professional His computer did pass Microsoft's genuine validation test, therefore it is a legal copy. PS: he only had 512 mb of ddr ram, I turned that into 1.25 gb of ddr ram, I included a 256 mb and a 512 mb stick (I did this long before he had these serious problems). I'm sorry for making such a long post and am hoping someone can walk me through what to do exactly. Thank you!

Hi Frank,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Community!

You have reached the right forums. Let us work as a team and try to fix this.

As I understand, you are unable to boot to the desktop on Windows XP computer, except in Safe Mode.

Let us try the following methods:

Method 1: It looks like you are able to boot in safe mode, perform clean boot and see if that helps to boot in normal mode.

A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application service or startup item is causing this issue.

Refer:

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Note: After troubleshooting, refer the section” Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state” from the given article:

Method 2:  Refer the following article:

How to fix a computer that won't start:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-xp/help/setup/how-to-fix-computer-that-will-not-start

Note 1: Make sure you take your friends or neighbors Windows XP DVD to perform the steps mentioned in the given article:

Note 2: In repair installation there is potential of data loss. Make sure to back up the data from Safe Mode.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sharath, thank you for your post!

However I am unable to boot in safe mode, if I try, right after I select "safe mode" and press enter my screen fills up with white text then it freezes and stays frozen.

If I try to boot in all other modes, the computer will just continue to reboot itself in a never ending loop.

I may have to reformat this hard drive, if I do, I need to get the personal files off of it, that is my main goal right now.

I currently have this drive as the slave drive hooked up to my computer (my computer is windows 7 ultimate 64 bit), however it isn't working.

When I right click on My Computer and go to  manage - storage - disk management, at the bottom I see my computer's hard drive and that is working fine, under that i see the hard drive i need to access as "unknown disk" which reads "Not Initialized" and when I re scan the discs I can hear the hdd I need to get to making noise.

When I right click on this drive it reads "initialize disc" (which is grayed out and I can not click on it), "offline" (and when I click on offline I get a pop up message reading "the device is not ready", and properties and help. 

When I go to properties, it tells me the device is working properly, but under the volumes tab I see 

Type is unknown, status is not initialized, partition style is not applicable, capacity is 0 mb, unallocated space is 0 mb, reserved space is 0 mb.

I am okay with not being able to save this hard drive, however I do want to save the personal files off of it.

I thank you again for your help, I appreciate it!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello , I just went through this problem.

I changed power supply, and then hard drive.

Nothing worked. 

Then I changed the CPU battery.  It was DEAD.

A $2.00 fix.  It only took me 6 hours for the other things , ex. changing power supply.

Everything works fine now.

If your computer is older then 4 years, try this First.

Hope it helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 25, 2017 Views 440 Applies to: