windows xp missing or corrupt file, system restore disks do not work. Help, love xp, not fond of vista or win 7

My desktop has windows xp media center edition  with Sp3 and for years it has run well, and maybe it's time to junk it, however my laptop has windows vista, which I dont like, I have seen windows 7 and am not fond of it either, so what can I do? when I load up the system restore disks it only loads up to a point where it says it is copying files, then tells me the restore is completed. When booting up again I am told the file "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll" is corrupt or missing, and to reinstall. it,. How do I do that?  Thanks for any help.

Sada

Answer
Answer

I am posting this in case others had the same problem I had, and was unable to restore.

When I pressed "del" and got the setup, I looked in the first box, Product information.

This info was typed into a google seach box on a working pc, and I found out I could restore my pc by pressing the ALT key and pressing F8 repeatedly. This will work for Acer Asprire anyway. Just an idea for anyone who was clueless like I was and did not know anything about restore or what my pc really was all about. I have lucked out and gotten my xp restored, it's running ok and I am enjoying it once again.

Good luck to anyone who had the same problem I did.

Every time I turn on my pc, I find time to scan disk, and chjeck for errors etc, just to try and avoid

having an unstabel pc again.

Sada

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2019 Views 2,883 Applies to: