Windows XP Home Edition. Registry File Failure

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. Everything has been working fine until now but today when I tried to start the computer Windows started to try to load but then I got the following error message:-

STOP: c0000218 (Registry File Failure)
Registry cannot locate the hive (file): systemroot\system32\config\SOFTWARE. It is corrupt, absent or not writable.

Can anyone please help fix this?

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2020 Views 1,138 Applies to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuSjoopLmX8

watch this video and it shows how to fix this error.

Or, you could try a system restore in safe mode if it will boot to safe mode.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

download

http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

home page with links on how to build.

Dell Dimension 3000, Firefox, WinXP Pro/Sp3, 360 TSE by Qiho, MBAM

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Elizabeth

Thanks for your very prompt reply.

I've checked out the YouTube video and the UBCD4WIN software does seem to be the way to go but how can I download it when I can't get my computer to start so I can access the internet? 

I tried booting Windows in Safe Mode but got the same registry file error message as before.

I tried to download the UBCD$WIN software using my other computer (an Apple Mac) but got an error message saying that Windows files cannot be downloaded using MAC OSX. 

My John 

John Lee

Sorry this didn't help.

you will have to get to a working pc that is running windows, try your local library if you cannot borrow a friends. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

You will not be making a UBDC4WIN CD unless you already have a genuine bootable XP installation CD (most people don't) since UBCD4WIN gets the files it needs from that and if your installed Service Pack is SP3 .

If you don't have genuine bootable XP installation CD with SP3 on it (most people don't) you are going to have a bigger problem.

When UBCD4WIN was created it was w-a-a-ay before SP3 which has been out for 5 years. 

.  See their requirements:

What are the requirements for building UBCD4Win?

1. The files from your Windows® Installation CD-Rom.
Supported Windows® versions are:

• Windows® XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
  • Windows® XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
  • Windows® Server 2003, Web Edition
  • Windows® Server 2003, Standard Edition
  • Windows® Server 2003, Enterprise Edition

Have you slipstreamed you genuine bootable XP installation CD to SP1 like they say?  Do you know what that means?

Service Pack 1?   What is that?  SP2 was released 9 years ago.  SP3 has been out for more than 5 years.

This is the year 2013 (or 5773 if you're Jewish).

You can do what you want of course.

For these kinds of messages

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SYSTEM or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

For these kinds of can't read it/can't find it/can't load it/missing or corrupt kinds of messages, I would always start with a chkdsk with error correction (chkdsk  /r) from the XP Recovery Console or a Hiren's boot CD/USB since the problem is usually simply that XP just can't find the file it is looking for due to some corruption in the NT File System (NTFS).

This is also a know problem with some older versions of Norton/Symantec installations, but can also be fixed if that is the case for you, but as usual, we don't know what you are using for AV protection.

You don't need a genuine bootable XP installation CD to make a Hiren's boot CD and it will let you perform the same kind of registry "repair" if you care to (but that may not be necessary or fix it).

I really wish when folks like Mr. YouTube Video see these kinds of error message, they would not immediately take aim at the registry without seeing if less invasive methods work first, and then you still don't know what caused the problem in the first place so it might not happen again.   It could really be the problem with the registry, but I have never touched the registry or repaired it for this problem and have fixed it enough times to accumulate the examples listed above.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Jose, I shall not recommend that program again, normally I say to use hiren's but that video seemed so simple. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

To add just a little more to ElderL's reply...

I definitely recommend the Hirens disk.  It is much easier to create. One of my earlier posts explains how to restore the registry using a Hirens Disk.  Your probem is with the Software Registry rather than the System Registry, but the procedure is the same nevertheless:

"When I start up up the computer I get this message Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrput: \windows\system32\config\system"

< http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/when-i-start-up-up-the-computer-i-get-this-message/f7358220-2d30-4d02-899e-2c773f977d1e >

ElderL prefers running chkdsk first.  This can take hours, so I prefer to run the Registry Restore Wizard first (much quicker) and then run chkdsk overnight when you won't need your computer for a while.  File system corruption is almost always present with registry file failure, so chkdsk /R is a necessary step.

HTH,

JW

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JW

Thanks for your help. Until now I considered myself pretty computer literate but I have never had to do any of this sort of major repair work before, so please bear with me!!

As I understand it what I have to do is:

(A) Run chkdsk/r.

I have a few questions, sorry:-

How do I actually do this? 

(i) My computer is currently not working at all. Do I copy the chkdsk/r program from my friend's computer (by searching under applications??) onto a CD?

(ii) If so, how do I then run the program and get chkdsk/r to execute on my computer? - do I insert the disk into the DVD drive and then turn the computer on? Or is it more complicated than that? 

(B) Download the Hiren's disk software 

I found the web site for this and can download the file:- Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip (I presume that is the correct file) when I borrow my friends's working computer again tomorrow.

I have two questions re this step:
(i) how do I get the software to download onto a blank CD in the computer's DVD drive, as opposed to downloading to the computer's hard disk (C: drive)?

(ii) my friend's computer runs on Microsoft Vista (not XP like me). Will doing the Hiren's download damage her computer in any way?

(C) Create the Hiren's disk CD and use it to boot up my PC (i.e the one that's not working due to the Registry File Failure. 

How do I actually do this?
(i) do I insert the Hirens' CD into the DVD drive, and then turn the computer on? I've never done booting from a CD before so I'm not sure how to stop the computer trying to boot up from the C: drive as normal

(D) Follow the file repair steps outlined in your previous post.

Sorry to have so many questions but I'm struggling a bit here.

John
John Lee

Sorry this didn't help.

Courtesy of Jose Ibarra:

Anywho, to make a Hiren's boot CD, do this:

I am going to recommend you use Hiren's boot CD (it will also go on a USB drive).

This is good for you because it has many more tools on it that on the XP Recovery Console CD, does not care about your Administrator passwords and you will not have to futz around in your BIOS if any afflicted system has SATA drives - Hiren's can deal with that.

You will have a whole bunch of cool tools that you don't have in the XP Recovery Console...  a registry editor, password resetter, and a desktop that looks like Windows XP so you will feel comfortable maneuvering.

You can also easily copy your personal data (documents, images, music.) to an external drive.

From a working system, first download Hiren's Boot CD from here (it is a substantial download but worth it):

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/    (look near the bottom of the page, do not click on any ads).
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/burning/

Instructions

Unzip the Hiren's to some folder where you can find it.  There is a Hiren's.BootCD..iso in there that you are going to need next.

Hiren's has instructions to make a bootable USB that you can use, but it requires you to first burn the .iso to a CD and some other steps, so I suggest another way...

Download RUFUS 1.20 from here (read some stuff on the page so you can know more about it):

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

I will caution you to be careful that you don't accidentally format any of your hard drives - be sure your USB stick is in and know what the drive letter is!  This part always makes me a little nervous, so be careful.

Launch RUFUS and all the defaults should be okay, for the Device, choose your USB drive letter, Quick format, FAT32, label it if you want to and in the Format options box, click the little icon that looks like a CD and a window will open.  Navigate that dialogue to point to the folder that contains the Hiren's.BootCD.15.iso that you unzipped earlier and the box should change to say ISO image (RUFUS understands the Hiren's ISO file).

Double check you have the right Device selected in the top (NOT you HDD) Click Start, acknowledge the warning and let it finish (it will take a little while) as it copies the files.   The Hiren's ISO is also good size.

When RUFUS is done, it will say 'DONE' in the bottom.

Put the USB stick in the afflicted machine and reset/reboot and press whatever key you need to press to get to a boot menu where you can select the USB as the first boot device (that is F11 for me).  If you don't see a boot menu choice, you will have to adjust your BIOS to boot from the USB first instead of the HDD.

When the Hiren's menu comes up, choose the Mini XP Mode and it will start loading (slowly from a USB drive) and eventually you should see a Windowsy looking desktop.  You should recognize that part and feel comfortable, but it is not your desktop - it is the Hiren's desktop!

Remember:  You did not boot on your hard disk - you booted into the Hiren's desktop

If you need a free and easy CD burning software package, here is a popular free program:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Here are some instructions for ImgBurn:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It would be a good idea to test your new bootable CD on a computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk.  These adjustments are  made before Windows tries to load.  If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When booting on the Hiren's CD you will see a menu of options.  Choose the Mini XP option.  Then it will appear that Windows is being loaded and you will be presented with a desktop that has the look and feel of the Windows Explorer interface you are already used to using.

Using the Mini XP, you can access the Internet, maneuver around your system, search for files, copy files, replace files, run various scans for malicious software, edit text files (like the c:\boot.ini) etc.

There are dozens of free and useful tools included in the CD that can be used to repair your system or copy your important personal files to another device (like a USB device or external drive) in the event that you just give up and decide to reinstall your XP (hopefully you will
not make that decision).

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

Hiren’s for flash drive

1. run the recovery console, 

2. it will not damage the pc, because you are not installing it, you are downloading to desktop, and then burning to a cd.

3. you will go into the bios and change boot sequece to boot from the cd drive first.

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks, my problem is now fixed and my computer is back up and running.

I downloaded the HirensBootCD software, burned a CD, changed the bios settings of my computer so that it would boot up from the DVD drive, booted my computer with my HirensDisk CD, and then ran chkdsk/r followed by registry restore wizard. This solved the problem and my PC is now good as new.

Thanks to all for your help which is very much appreciated.
John Lee

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for the update :)

Sorry this didn't help.