Windows XP Blue Screen of Death after upgrading RAM

Hi All,

I have recently upgraded my PC with 4GB RAM (Previously it was 1GB only). For first few days the system worked perfectly, but now performance of my PC is very slow and I am frequently getting Blue Screen of Death Error. My PC's Configuration is as below:

Processor: Intel Dual Core 2.8GHz

RAM: 4GB (Transcend DDR2) - I have removed 1GB RAM and replaced it with two 2GB RAMs.

Hard-disk: 160GB

Moreover, on the same system, I have one more hard-disk of 500GB on which I have installed Windows 2003 Server Edition. There is no problem on Windows 2003 server and it utilizes complete 4GB of RAM.

Kindly help me to resolve the Windows XP issue.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2017 Views 823 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums.

From the issue description I understand that you receive blue screen of death after upgrading ram on Windows XP computer.

I would really appreciate if you can help me with the following information.

1.      What is the exact BSOD (Blue screen Of Death) error code/message you receive?

2.      When exactly do you receive the BSOD?

This issue is specific to Windows XP OS as Windows 2003 server is working fine with ram upgrade. We will check if the issue occurs in safe mode, if the computer behaves normally in safe mode then perform clean boot.

Method 1: Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up.

If this fixes the issue, then add the devices one after the other until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue. Then we can update driver software for that particular device.

Method 2

Check if the issue exists in Safe Mode, if the computer works as expected in safe mode then we can troubleshoot the issue in clean boot state.

Step 1

Refer to the article below for safe mode steps in Windows XP
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

It is a possibility that there is a startup program that is started with a command line and it shows up.

Step 2

You are required to perform a clean boot to find the program that is causing this and then disable or remove it.
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us
Note: Make sure you reset the computer to normal mode after the troubleshooting completes. Refer the section “Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state

I would also suggest you to provide us any error logs related to issue from Event Viewer. Refer to the help link.

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Hope it help.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Regards,
Anil

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.