why do I get a black screen and a blinking cursor when I turn on my Dell- Inspiron 1150?

When  I try to boot my computer I can only see black screen and a blinking cursor. I tryed to use the reinstalation CD but it doesn't run the CDs eventhough it detects them. This problem stated right after I force it to turn Off after it froze on me. Does any body knows what is wrong and how to fix it?

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

From your issue description, I understand that you are unable to boot the computer with Black Screen window. Please let me know if this is not the issue that you are facing.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I would need little information on the issue.

1. What is the exact or complete error message?
  2. Have you made any recent changes to the computer prior to this issue?
  3. What is the make and model number of the computer?

Try the methods and then check after each method:

Method 1: Check in Safe mode.

Step 1: Start computer in Safe mode, to start the computer with minimal set of drivers and services.

Step 2: If the issue does not persist then perform “Clean boot”, to disable third party startup programs.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Note: Once you performed the “clean boot” to resolve the issue, you can follow these “steps to configure Windows XP to start normally”.

a)      Click Start, and then click Run. In the Run window, type msconfig and then click OK.

b)     The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

c)      Click the General tab, click Normal Startup - Load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

d)     When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Method 2: Computer stops responding with a black screen when you start Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503  

If the issue persists, post your reply with results and questions asked as above. We are happy to assist you with advanced troubleshooting steps.

Hope it helps.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 28, 2018 Views 446 Applies to: