where would i get an INF file for windows XP? I have tried to update buy it still doesnt work. This for a web cam issue

I got an logitech 615hd webcam. and when i turn on my computer and it starts to search for install devices it comes back and states "driver installation for this device is missing necessary entry. this may be because this "INF" was written for windows 95 or later.

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

Thanks Scott Nance

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

|
I'm guessing you did not look on the Logitech Support pages first, but I did.

There is considerable chatter in their support forums about this error and the problem seems to be that this file might be missing from your system (assuming XP is installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\inf\usb.inf

To see if that file is missing from your system, you need to configure Windows Explorer to show hidden folders and files and to not hide extensions for know file types. 

Here's how:

In Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, View and tick the option:

Show hidden files and folders

Then UNtick the option:

Hide extensions for known file types

(You can undo those adjustments later if it is your desire)

Now you should be able to navigate to and see all the files in the c:\windows\inf folder (you can undo this Explorer adjustment later if desired).

If your usb.inf file is missing, there is one on my SkyDrive you can download.

Here's how:

I uploaded a copy of the XP Pro SP3 file you need to my SkyDrive (everybody has a SkyDrive for sharing files).

You can download it and when you do, put a copy of the file in this folders (assuming Windows is installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\inf

Here is the link to my SkyDrive and you can look for the file you need there:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6a7e789cab1d6f39&id=6A7E789CAB1D6F39!311

When you see the files available for download, you may not see the file extension (.exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.), but when you download them they will have the correct extension.

When you download the file (especially if you use Internet Explorer), when you get a chance to save the file, your browser may not save the file with an extension (like .exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.) so you will have to manually add the proper extension to the file when you download the file before you save it.

You can download the file with no extension and then rename the file to add the proper extension.  You don't want to try to use a file called usb when the file name really needs to be called usb.inf (if the downloaded file has no extension you will have to change the name of the file to add the proper extension to get it to work.

You then copy/paste the downloaded file(s) in the correct folders on your system.

If that doesn't work for you, you should pursue your issue in the Logitech Support Community forums which are here:

http://forums.logitech.com/

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 4, 2020 Views 1,371 Applies to: