UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

I have an old Dell Latitude D510 which I am trying to reactivate but upon start-up I get the blue "screen of death" with the error message "Unmountable Boot Volume". What is stored on the notebook I don't need as was backed up long ago. How can I start this notebook up even if if means reinstalling all the software.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 5,025 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Jose's instructions for the bootable standalone Recovery Console CD are top-notch. However you didn't really need to follow them since you ALREADY have a bootable CD that has a Recovery Console -- and that would be your original Dell Windows XP CD.

I read your other post. It's possible you burned the standalone RC CD incorrectly. But no worries. Just use your Windows XP CD!

You need to press F12 IMMEDIATELY after you power on the PC. Sometimes you need to use the keyboard combination Fn + F12 on a laptop. This will give you the option to select a booting device OTHER than the hard drive. Choose CD-ROM. Then when you see the message to press any key to boot from the CD, do just that. :-)

(If you see the screen with the Windows XP Safe Mode options, you missed it; that's an indication you did NOT boot off the CD but booted off the hard drive instead. Try again. If there is a problem, post back.)

You can enter the Recovery Console by pressing R once you see this screen:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/repair-installation-thumb.png

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

my wife's old computer, with xp professional, has BSOD. XP was loaded after repairs but no disks or floppy's came back with it and her previous husband did not make any repair disk. I followed the information given and made a cd using the sites given. Adjusted the primary boot to be cd not hard disk and put the cd in. It ran until the 'Press any key to boot from CD'  came up but at that point none of the keyboard keys make an impression and the 'Press any key......' message came up again and then all went back to BSOD. Any further advice.

I have a friend with xp home on his machine but like me he has not disks or floppy's. can I get a repair disk/floppy using his machine even though he has xp home and I have xp professional? If so how is this done?

a reply would be appreciated.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.