System fails to boot. Error “Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system 32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file".

Original Title: My computer will not open.  The following message appears:

My computer will not open.  The following message appears on the black screen:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:  <Windows root>\system 32\hal.dll.  Please re-install a copy of the above file".

My question:  HOW do I do this??? 

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2017 Views 168 Applies to:

Hi Elderlaw,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you!

From your issue description, I understand that you are unable to start the computer. Error “Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system 32\hal.dll….".  Please correct me if I have misunderstood the issue.

Before proceeding with troubleshooting, I need to ask few questions.

Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to the computer prior to this issue?

To resolve the issue, try the methods and check after each method:

Method 1: Try to start the computer in Safe mode.

Step 1: Start computer in Safe mode, to start the computer with minimal set of drivers and services.

Step 2: If the issue does not persist then perform “Clean boot”, to disable third party startup programs.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state?

Note: Once you performed the “clean boot” to resolve the issue, you can follow these “steps to configure Windows XP to start normally”.

a)      Click Start, and then click Run. In the Run window, type msconfig and then click OK.

b)     The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

c)      Click the General tab, click Normal Startup - Load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

d)     When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Method 2: Try to start the computer in “Last Known Good Configuration mode”, to rolls back the most recent successful registry configuration.

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852  

Method 3: Error message in Windows XP SP2: “Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. Windows\System32\Hal.dll”: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945380

Check Disk Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk (Check Disk) on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector. And if any data is available on that sector might be lost.

Data Backup Disclaimer: Before you perform recovery, make sure that you back up your computer’s personal data to disks or to other external storage devices. This data includes personal data, settings, hardware driver information, and software programs. Microsoft is not responsible for any loss of data.

Method 4: How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the Command prompt in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Note: System Restore return the computer state to a previous state – when your computer was functioning correctly. It can also change Internet Explorer settings, scripts, batch files, and other kinds of executable files on your computer. However it does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

If the issue persists, post your reply with results. We are happy to assist you with advanced troubleshooting steps.

Hope it helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is is extremely unlikely that the hal.dll file is really missing or corrupt, but do see how those Microsoft engaged Support engineer "expert" ideas work out.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.