Some how my Windows xp professional has been corrupted. I am unable to use "restore" because I get a file not found error for helpctr.exe What can I do to correct this. Thanks

Some how my Windows xp professional has been corrupted. I am unable to use "restore" because I get a file not found error for helpctr.exe  What can I do to correct this. Thanks
Also my desk top has a folders bar on it that dosen't belong there; and many of the links won't work---"Control Panel" for example.

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2017 Views 66 Applies to:
Hi Michael,
Thank you for posting the issue on Microsoft Community Forums.
We will try to help you resolve the issue.

If you could answer a few questions it would help us to resolve this issue:

1. Did you make any changes in the computer prior to the issue?
2. Do you get the error message, when performing System restore?
3. What is the complete error message?
4. What happens when you try to access control panel?

Here are a few steps which you can follow:

Method 1:
Run the Microsoft Safety Scanner
Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 2:
We would also suggest you to refer the links given below and follow the steps given in the article:
Unable to load Windows Help and Support

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Method 3:
How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
Note: System Restore does not affect personal files, such as email messages, documents, or photos. You can only restore files that you have deleted if you have made backups of those files.

Hope this helps. If you have any further queries/issues related to windows, write to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.