Shortcuts to exe's do not open, but exe's will

Ran into a PC with some spyware on it.  Removed it very easily, but it apparently left some damage in its wake.

When shortcuts to .exe files are double clicked, the icon fades (the same appearance as if hidden, but it does not have the hidden attribute).  Hitting F5 on the desktop causes the file to return to normal.  Other icons work, links to URLs, the Internet Explorer icon (which is a system icon) My computer and office documents.  These all work.  I can right-click the shortcut to an exe file and select open.  It will open then just fine.

If I browse out to the actual exe file, it also opens just fine.  WIN+E does not work either.  MSCONFIG will not open from RUN, but it will open from the full path.  It seems to be a problem with anything that links back to an EXE or command that launches and EXE (opening email attachments do not work either since it will try and call an application).  Iexplore from the run command does work, but that's a call to the exe directly from the path.

SO... I've attempted to fix the exe file association with the various REG files that float around the forums, but that doesn't fix it.  It's not the normal exe file association fix.  It feels like remnant damage to the system from spyware.

I cannot reformat and reimage this machine just yet.  It has vendor software on it that's needed come monday and the vendor won't be around until the end of next week.  We can get into applications easily enough with right-clicks, but it's making life pretty darn difficult for the user.  Totally lost on it though...  Trying SFC now.  Ran every antivirus/spyware program I legally can.  Restore Points are turned off in our organization (...yeah).  So that's not an option.  Usually, I'd just reimage the machine, probably spend only about 30 minutes tops on it.  But can't since it has vendor software.

Any ideas?

|
Answer
Answer

Seems like the problem is with .lnk file association. go to the below link http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip and download lnkfile fix.zip and extract to the desktop. Then export to the registry by double click on it. Then restart the computer and check. Hopefully it should work.

Microsoft Certified IT Professional

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
It sounds like your situation is deteriorating, so I don't know if this will help you at this point or not...

Usually, when file associations come undone (usually from malicious software), I suggest this:

It sounds like your Windows file associations have come undone. This means that XP no longer knows what to do with files by looking at the file extension (like .exe for executables, .doc for MS documents, shortcut links, etc.).

If you did not do it yourself, something did it for you - most likely malicious software.

Go to this WWW site by Doug Knox:

http://www.dougknox.com/

On the left, click the Win XP Fixes, File Association Fixes, and read the directions at the top of the page.

Download the EXE File Association Fix to your desktop, unzip the file and apply it using the instructions from the top of the page, then reboot and test.

There is a similar downlod to fix LNK (shortcut associations), so you should apply that one too.

Run the following scans for malicious software and then fix any remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2020 Views 3,511 Applies to: