Restore local disc name in XP

I reinstalled xp.  Previously my local disc was called C:, as it is in most computers I've seen.  Now it is called I:. This is too confusing. How can I change its name back to C:?

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2017 Views 115 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

How did you reinstall?

if you did a clean install, deleted all partitions, and formatted, your os would be on c:.

However if there were several partitions listed and you just chose one (I assume it was "I") to install xp on that is what would appear.

Personally, I believe you should reinstall following instructions in one of the following websites, my favorite is aumha.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/setup/install-windows-xp

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=44636

Clean installs of XP sites

You could use disk management to change drive letters, but if you are on "I", something must be on c:

Dell Dimension 3000, Firefox, WinXP Pro/Sp3, 360 TSE by Qiho, MBAM

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello There,

You need to re install your windows XP OS again in C drive. You cannot change  or move files from I drive because your system files are stored there and currently in use when you computer is working. So you need to install fresh version of windows in C drive or re partition of your hard drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If you have a multi-format card reader in your system I suspect that these are seen as drive letters C-H. can you confirm this?

If that is the case then you have two options, both of which will necessitate re-installing Windows...

1. Disconnect this device from the mainboard before installing Windows and then reconnect it after Windows has been successfully installed to C
  2. Disable USB in BIOS before installing Windows and then re-enable after Windows has been successfully installed to C

The second option is probably easier as it does not involve disassembling the PC. If you cannot do this for yourself, for instructions on how to disable USB in BIOS we will need the brand, range and model number of your PC, or failing that, the brand and model number of your mainboard.

If you choose to disassemble the PC, shutdown Windows first, unplug from the mains and take anti-static precautions.

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Tricky,

Thank you for your prompt reply and I'm sorry that I am so slow getting back to you.  Life got in the way.

I do have a  "9 in 1 Media Card Reader."  When I tried to move the contents of I to C it was not allowed, so I would say you're right.  However, I did not try to move I to any drive except C, so one of the others may work, but since A through H is numbers 1-8, I doubt it would be allowed either.

I'd like to try the second alternative.  I do need instructions in disabling USB in BIOS.  I have a Dell Dimension 9100.  I don't know what the range is.  How do I find it?

One possible monkey wrench: While the computer was still in waranty, the mainboard failed and a Dell tech installed a new one.

Thank you for your help.

bsnash

Sorry this didn't help.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/en/SM/syssetup.htm

9100 dell owners manual

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/en/D86630LRs.pdf

this is a pdf manual and might have differents steps than the regular owners manual.

Dell Dimension 3000, Firefox, WinXP Pro/Sp3, 360 TSE by Qiho, MBAM

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The brand is Dell, the range is Dimension and the model is 9100.

According to the manual (see Elizabeth23's first link), you need to look for a message at boot time, immediately after turning on the PC, telling you to hit F2. This will get you into BIOS setup.

I am reading between the lines a bit in the instructions below, so I apologise if they are not quite accurate.

Once in BIOS setup use the vertical arrow keys to get to the Onboard Devices section and then hit enter. This should display the options for USB controller and USB for Flexbay. These are the two options to turn off before re-installing Windows and turn back on again after re-installation is complete.

I think that to turn them off you highlight them using the vertical arrow keys and then hit enter. Then, I think you use the horizontal arrow keys to switch from on to off (or vice versa).

Make sure that you exit BIOS and save the changes. Check this by restarting the PC again and going into BIOS again.

Then re-install Windows as you did before and check that the boot partition letter is now C.

Turn both devices again in BIOS once you are happy and new hardware will be detected on the next boot to Windows.

Once you have established Windows to your satisfaction, you may run into problems with Windows Updates if the service pack level is not 3.

Verify your current service pack level...

• Hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt) and hit the Pause Break key
  • Examine what is listed in the System: section

If the service pack level is 3, then you can disregard the rest of this post.

If there is no service pack level designated, first you must download SP2 from...

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=28

...and then run the downloaded program to install SP2.

As an alternative to SP2 you could download SP1A (xpsp1a_en_x86.exe) from…

http://slug.ceca.utc.edu/ftp/pub/windows/patches/winxp/

…which a fellow contributor Daavee found. It is half the size of SP2 so should be quicker. However, as you can see, it is not a Microsoft web site.

Once you have done that, or if you were already at service pack 1, 1A or 2, then install SP3 by downloading and running from...

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24

For both of the above you can ignore the text that says that it is for network installations and also ignore the text advising Windows/Microsoft Update if only updating one PC.

Then try and get up to date with Windows Updates.

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.

Tricky,

Thank you for the directions. And thank you Elizabeth23 for the link to the user's manual. That made the process much clearer as I proceeded.

I opened BIOS and turned off both the USB contoller and the USB for flexbay and saved the changes. When I rebooted the computer the pointer was frozen in the center of the screen and I could not get off the windows page where you choose which user is going to use the computer. Pressing Enter, Esc or many other keys had no effect either.  I then put the XP reinstall disc in and I could hear the drive playing it, but no acknowleging window appeared. So, I could not figure a way to start the reinstall.

I went back into BIOS and kept USB controller off and turned USB for flexbay on. Same result as with both off. Then I went back to BIOS and turned USBcontroller on and USB for flexbay off.  This time I was able to reinstall XP, but the local disc was again I:, not C:, which was the original problem. Once more I went into BIOS and turned off both and got the frozen screen again.

Does it matter that my mouse and keyboard are connected via USB? Do you see something that I've missed? Is there something else I can try next?  Thank you.

bsnash

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Yes it will make a difference that your mouse and keyboard are usb. I have just looked at the specs for the Dimension 9100 and seen that there is no other option than USB for keyboard and mouse, so you will have to disconnect the card reader's cable from the motherboard before installing. There is a diagram from your manual (the first link that Elizabeth gave you) here...

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/en/SM/parts.htm#wp1059853

...but read on for a possibility that you might not have to do this.

It appears to me that you are attempting to re-install from a successful boot to Windows. There are two better ways.

The first way is to use the inbuilt factory reset machanism, provided that your earlier attempts at installation have not rendered this impossible. The second link that Elizabeth gave has the details under Troubleshooting Tools - Restoring Your Operating System - Using Dell PC Restore by Symantec. It occurs to me that if this mechanism is intact you probably don't have to disconnect the card reader lead. The whole process should only take maybe 20-30 minutes. So you could perhaps try without pulling the lead first and then do it again if necessary and disconnect the lead.

The second way is to boot direct from your installation media. The easiest way to do this is invoke the boot device menu immediately after powering up the PC by hitting F12 when you see the Dell logo. Then select to boot from your CD/DVD drive. If the F12 doesn't work the first time try again and hit F12 a few times while the logo is shown.

Apologies for not realising that your keyboard and mouse had to be USB.

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tricky,

I have not tried any of the three remedies yet. I will get on it later today.

The reason I had to reinstall XP in the first place was that my hard drive died.  So I put in a new one. Then I reinstalled XP and got the I: drive as local. Am I right that since this reinstall was the first thing on the new hard drive that the two restore methods will be restoring the reinstall that I did, the one that was wrong? Or is it somewhere else and one of those methods still might work? Thank you.

bsnash

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If your hard drive died, it is probable that the inbuilt factory restore no longer works. But not knowing how you did the re-installation following the connection of the new hard drive I cannot be absolutely certain of this. You can verify this for yourself by trying the first better way in my immediately prior post. If Ctrl-F11 has no effect then you will just boot into Windows. When you get there you can double check...

• Click Start
  • Click Run
  • Type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter

My suspicion is that there will only be one partition defined for disk 0 and if that is the case, the inbuilt factory reset mechanism is not available.

Assuming that the inbuilt restore is no longer available, my recommendation is the second of the two better ways in my immediately prior post. Before doing this you will need to remove the card reader's USB lead (see link to diagram in previous post). When you get to the point where the available partitions are shown, there should only be one partition which you should first delete and then select to install Windows to the unallocated disk space. My belief is that this process will be almost identical to your first attempt that got the undesirable drive letters. This time, because you will have removed the card reader's cable, Windows should install to C.

Before removing/reconnecting the card reader's USB lead, power down, remove the power cable and take antistatic precautions.

If there is any important data back it up first.

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.