microsoft fix it center media player troubleshooter : 'unable to install windows media player'.folder permissions for w.m.p need to be repaired to install w.m.p. how?

i have windows xp pro sp3 x86  downloaded windows media player 11.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2019 Views 3,592 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Kostas,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forums.

Based on the description, it appears that you are facing issues with installing Windows Media Player 11. I will be happy to help you in this issue.

1) When exactly are you receiving this error message?

2) Have you made any changes on the computer prior to this issue?

To verify if this is a permission issue, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned:

Method 1: I would suggest you to give full control to the Windows Media files and check if it helps.

In Windows XP, the file is located in the C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Media.

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

Method 2: System File Checker (SFC) Scan

SFC scan will find any missing or incorrect system files and repairs them.

System File Checker (sfc)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

Method 3: If you’re running Windows XP then, follow these steps toreinstall Windows Media player through add/remove Windows components and check if the issue persists.

a) Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

b) Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.

c) Click Add/Remove Windows Components. The Windows Components Wizard starts.

d) In the Components list, click to select the check box that is next Windows Media Player.

e) Click Next.

f) If the Insert Disk dialog box appears, use one of the following methods:◦Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then click OK.

g) Click OK to locate your Windows XP installation files. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse, locate your Windows XP installation files, and then click Open. For example, the installation files might be in the D:\I386 folder.

h) In the Completing the Windows Components Wizard screen, click Finish.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists or if you face any Windows issues in future, let us know and we would be glad to assist you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.