iertutil.dll file was missing, now ordinal 681 could not be located in the dynamic link library.

Hi, 

I came home yesterday to find the message "Explorer.EXE - Unable To Locate Component : This application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." when I turned on my computer.
It wouldn't let me do anything on my computer except for running task manager.

After doing a bit of googling (on another computer), I found that I could go on another computer, copy iertutil.dll and paste it onto my USB and then put it in my C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder where it belongs.
I think my error was that I copied from a Vista onto an XP but I couldn't find any XP files of it on the internet.

After having done this, I restarted the computer and it no longer said that iertutil.dll was missing. But now it says Ordinal 681 could not be located in the dynamic library iertutil.dll

So now I'm at a loss!

I've looked on forums and some people advise to look in your dll cache folder but I don't have one. Even after showing hidden files etc.
Also, most people who have this problem seem to have to do with Internet Explorer installations/uninstallations but mine isn't. I think it must just be a virus (most likely Trojan). I will get better virus protection but I need the computer to work first in order for me to do that!

Please help! 

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi emmakate,

Are you able to boot into safe mode? For more information, refer to this link: A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

If you are able to boot into safe mode, let’s follow these methods & check if the issue persists:

Method 1

You may run System File Checker [SFC] scan on the computer which will replace the missing or corrupt files & check if the issue persists.

a. Type ‘cmd’ in Start, Run box. Right click on cmd.exe in the Program list and then select the option Run as administrator.

b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER on the keyboard:

sfc /scannow

For more information refer to this link:

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Method 2

You may try to perform system restore which will restore back the computer to the point when it was working fine:

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

Note: When you perform System Restore to restore the computer to previous state, programs and updates you installed are removed.

Hope the information helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem.

Suddenly lost everything except the desktop background and can only access the computer via Task Manager. Get the iertutil.dll message on start up and when running most programs.
Was surprised to learn that this is an Internet Explorer issue since I don't use it as my browser.
Tried to follow others online advice but don't have a "Windows" folder, have a "Windows.0" instead, and don't have a "DLL cache" folder either.
Also don't have any Windows XP disks as it came pre-loaded with product key on the back of the computer.
Downloaded the new dll file but now get the "Ordinal 681 could not be located in the dynamic library iertutil.dll" error.
Downloaded Internet Explorer but installation keeps failing in the final stages.
Tried to scan my computer for problems via the Microsoft website but the scan wouldn't initiate.
Tried to check if I'd missed any critical updates but Microsoft website is telling me that I seem to have a non-genuine copy of Windows - strange seeing as I've received updates till now and have a product key.
Start menu isn't appearing so have to access files etc as a New Task in Task Manager. Can get into cmd.exe; did this in Safe mode and typed sfc / scannow but response was along the lines that the scan was not possible.
Rebooted computer in normal mode and tried to scan, Windows File Protection dialogue box popped up saying that files were being checked but progress bar hasn't moved for an hour now ...
Can't work out how to return to a previous Restore point given that I can't access the Start menu ...
Any further help would be greatly appreciated!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

exactly the same for me! please help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Right idea...  sneakernet

Those sound like my instructions.

I uploaded a copy of the XP Pro SP3 IE7 file you need to my SkyDrive (everybody has a SkyDrive for sharing files).

You can download it and when you do, put a copy of the file in this folder (assuming Windows is installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\system32

Here is the link to my SkyDrive and you can look for the file you need there:

http://cid-6a7e789cab1d6f39.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=6A7E789CAB1D6F39!311

When you see the files available for download, you may not see the file extension (.exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.), but when you download them they will have the correct extension.

When you download the file (especially if you use Internet Explorer), when you get a chance to save the file, your browser may not save the file with an extension (like .exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.) so you will have to manually add the proper extension to the file when you download the file before you save it.

You can download the file with no extension and then rename the file to add the proper extension.  You don't want to try to use a file called iertutil when the file name really needs to be called iertutil.dll (if the downloaded file has no extension you will have to change the name of the file to add the proper extension to get it to work.

You then need to put the downloaded files in the correct folders on your system.

That may not solve all your issues, but you will at least be past that part and then we can fix the rest.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you see a message like this:

Explorer.EXE - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

This will be in the Event Log:

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    Application Popup
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    26
Date:        9/23/2010
Time:        8:38:48 AM
User:        Jose
Description:
Application popup: Explorer.exe - Unable To Locate Component : This application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

The iertutil.dll file is required for explorer.exe to start.  For the moment, think of the running explorer.exe as your desktop since it is necessary to display all of your desktop icons, taskbar, etc.  If explorer.exe is not able to run, you will not be able to do much with your system until the file is replaced.

It would be prudent to figure out why and how the file came up missing in the first place.  The file could have been deleted accidentally, your antimalware software could have quarantined it thinking it was a threat (very likely) or malicious software could have deleted it (very unlikely).

You can boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and still navigate your system from the Command Prompt window using DOS commands.  If you can get a copy of the missing file from another system that has the same version of IE and copy that onto a USB stick, CD Card or floppy, you can sneakernet the missing file onto the afflicted system.  Put a copy in the c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\system32\dllcache folder, then use Task Manager to reboot your system.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It would be prudent to figure out why and how the file came up missing in the first place.  The file could have been deleted accidentally.

Unfortunately the recent events of this occurring are due to Windows Update itself. Upon replacing the file you may see IE8 installing/reinstalling itself. You may even find IE8 no longer functional. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It would be prudent to figure out why and how the file came up missing in the first place.  The file could have been deleted accidentally.

Unfortunately the recent events of this occurring are due to Windows Update itself. Upon replacing the file you may see IE8 installing/reinstalling itself. You may even find IE8 no longer functional. 

I have attended 5 computers with this problem over the last week. 4 over the last 2 days.
I have a cd with a copy of this file and I just copy it into the system32 folder. Problem fixed.

It has to be a MS update problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jose,

Unfortunately sneakernet wouldn't work for me - just gave me a newdev.dll error whenever I tried to connect a flashdrive.

I did manage to download a copy of the iertutil.dll from your skydrive and transferred it across to replace the old files but that still didn't work, thanks anyway.

Finally managed to fix the problem by totally uninstalling Internet Explorer using the directions from SimonGan here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/system-has-failed-because-iertutildll-was-not/6dd913ba-cc0f-4828-a55a-477771d25b66?page=3&tm=1328455569545

Laptop is now completely back to normal. So clearly this is an Internet Explorer problem with recent Microsoft Updates.

So much for customer support from Microsoft - they need to be getting on top of this problem on their own and not relying on the good work of people like yourself.

Cheers,
BigRyan

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It does seem to be an issue with increasing visibility.

I have not seen that newdev.dll error before but will see if I can break my system on purpose so I can.

There a couple related threads about this issue and I have seen the post from SimonGan and it has helped a few people out too.

I told Microsoft Update a long time ago to just never offer me IE8 as I am quite happy with my Firefox and will use their silly IE7 only when I am forced to, thank you very much :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi there, thanks so much for your help but i'm afraid my computer is totally useless. it doesn't let me boot into safe mode, nor do a system restore- even via task manager! every single thing (or close thereto) says that "The ordinal 681 cannot be found in the dynamic link library" and closes the task. When I attempted to use cmd.exe, to uninstall IE8, it says it can't be located, indicating to me it's not an IE issue with me, because I don't even have IE8, never even use IE. this is incredibly frustrating and i just want one problem to not lead to another, but it seems to do that! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2020 Views 17,455 Applies to: