I Have Windows XP Professtional & Most of my file extensions have changed to .LNK. How can I fix this?

Hi

I have Windows XP Professional and recently most of the file extensions have changed to .LNK.

The problem started after down loading a free App for Google Chrome, which installed a tool bar & a search provider called "Funmood", which is kind of Malware Or something...!!  I couldn't get rid of it. So I decided to uninstall Google chrome and use "cc cleaner" and "Avast", "Norton 360" & "Spybot Search & Destroy" to eliminate the virus. No luck.....

I could not install any updates or any new software after that.......After working on for a while, I am able to install some updates, but not google chrome. I get error messeges. Some of the files which has .LNK extension......I access by right click & going to target File and access it.

I have read some solutions posted such as going to ...... Regedit\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\Filext\....and checked all the extesions with my lap top and they seem ok. I don't know how else it could be done.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help.

Rigards,

Jon Jon

Answer
Answer

Hi Jon,

As I understand all the file extensions have changed to .LNK. I will definitely help you get the issue fixed.

Please follow the steps from the article and check if it helps. Here is another article which helps in resolving issues with file extensions.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

You may also refer the article and check.

Hope the information was helpful and do let us know if you need any assistance in the future regarding Windows. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 25, 2017 Views 84 Applies to: