I get a STOP error 0x0000007B and I am unable to boot to Safe Mode.

I tried to go in on Safe mode and got a blue screen with  a message - Stop : 0x0000007B.

Able to boot up normally but unable to go in on safe mode. Have XP Media Ctr 2004 with SP3. Have not added any new hardware or software.

Original title : Unable to go into Safe mode on XP Media Ctr 2004

Try a hard drive diagnostic (free one's listed here:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html)

Are you familiar with the Recovery Console and do you have it installed on your system?  Do you have the original installation CD/DVD?  What make/model system is it?

Can you provide the following info?

Please provide the following information to help us figure out the problem:

- Please zip up the contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump directory

- Upload it to the Public area of a SkyDrive account ( https://skydrive.live.com )

- Post a link here so we can download it.

and

- Go to Start (or press the “Win” and “R” keys at the same time), type in "msinfo32" and press Enter

- When the utility opens, save a copy of it as an .nfo file, and another copy as a .txt file (in case the .nfo is corrupted - which happens fairly often)

- Zip them up and upload them to the Public area of a SkyDrive account ( https://skydrive.live.com )

- Post a link here so we can download it.

Use SkyDrive to upload the collected files:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

- John
My website: http://www.carrona.org/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Raul,

Thank you for posting your query in the Microsoft Community Forums.

Blue Screen of death are STOP errors that hinder the functioning of an Operating System. You receive a blue screen error on the Windows XP computer. It can be difficult when something that is important to you does not work as expected. It is pretty simple and we are here to help you fix the issue. We will work as a team and get this sorted out.

Please answer these questions-

1)     What are the other troubleshooting steps performed by you?

2)    What exactly happens when you try to login to Safe Mode?

3)    Have you installed any new hardware or software on the computer recently?

I would like more information regarding the issue.

This issue may occur if the new motherboard contains an embedded IDE controller that has a different chipset than the original motherboard or if the computer has been affected by a boot sector virus.

Method –

I would have you refer the articles-

"Stop error code 0x0000007B (INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE)" error message when you restart your Windows XP-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316401

Advanced troubleshooting for "Stop error code 0x0000007B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE)" errors in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Note: Formatting the hard drive will erase the data present on the drive. Back up the data before proceeding further.

The antivirus will try to repair bad sectors on the hard drive damaged by virus. Any data on these sectors might be lost in the process.

Make sure you back up the data on the computer before proceeding with the re-installation of Windows.

Note: The Chkdsk scan will try to identify and repair bad sectors found on the hard drive. Any data present on these sectors might be lost in the process. The computer can also go into a no boot state.

Do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence and provide our customers with the best support.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have answered your questions on the email itself.

Unless it is absolutely necessary, I rather not go thru the posting on Skydrive, because of the time would take for me to learn it &  do it. I inserted the system info as well as the blue screen error message code.

I am able to operate the pc normally without any problem at all. I have not added any hardware and have run my antisoftware/malware several times, incl Superantispyware d Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool, Spybot ( which I do not have anymore) and Ad Aware anitvirus/malware.

Again, my problem is getting into Safe Mode. When I tried, i got a blue screen.

Raúl 

To: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 03:05:10 -0800
Subject: Unable to go into Safe mode on XP Media Ctr 2004

YOUR PROFILE | FAQ

Hello raulm1:

Your question on Microsoft Community has received a reply:
Question
Unable to go into Safe mode on XP Media Ctr 2004

Try a hard drive diagnostic (free one's listed here:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html)       Did a check disk and it was ok

Are you familiar with the Recovery Console and do you have it installed on your system?  Do you have the original installation CD/DVD?  What make/model system is it?   
    Not familiar at all and is not installed on my pc. I have a Wind  XP disk ordered with the pc; have Win XP Prof vers 51.2600 on a Dell DM 051

Can you provide the following info?
Please provide the following information to help us figure out the problem:
    - Please zip up the contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump directory         Did a Disk Cleanup and do not have anything on the Minidump
                                                                                                            folder. The blue screen error  message said 0x0000007B (0xF7B524,
                                                                                                            0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)                                        

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did a chkdsk as mentioned on the blue screen, as well as ran twice all antivirus/malware software. Then, aslo ran disk cleanup, where I lost the minidump file.
IN as far as what happens, I tried to get into safe mode, using F8 and it began running, thenit stopped and gave me a blue screen with the following :
STOP : 0x0000007B(0xF7C7B524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x0000000).

I have not installed any new hardware  and before it happened I had not installed any software. Since it occurred, I removed the antivirus I had and replaced it with  new Ad Aware antivirus/malware.

I appreciate the articles you sent but I have not replaced the motherboard.

I sure hope you can help me. I would like to be able to go into Safe mode.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

YES , same pc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You problem is your computer is infected with malware and the safe mode reg keys have been deleted.

Let's try this first. Open regedit and see if the below key is missing.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot

If you do not see the above key let us know.

By the way, are you running raid on your hard drives?

Edit: Sorry Dave. Didn't see your reply before I replied.

To the OP. Scanning for rootkits is a great place to begin after you have determined the above reg key is missing. If that key is not missing the issue is not malware.
Microsoft Partner Network Member

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2017 Views 724 Applies to: