I deleted wsock32.dll accidently.

How can I restore it back? I'm using a Windows XP Media Center Version. I don't have the XP cd but I got from Sony the System restore kit dvd  with all the original softwares in it. I have located the wsock32.dll on that dvd  & I sent a copy of it to my desktop.but I'm not able to get it to work.
Answer
Answer
Are you seeing a message like this:

<application name>.exe - Unable To Locate Component
The application has failed to start because WSOCK32.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

What is the application you are trying to launch that generates the error message (Firefox, iTunes, etc.).

Since the wsock32.dll file is one of the 3498 files covered under Windows File Protection, deleting it would require some extra effort...  How did you accidentally delete it?  (just curious).

If the system used to work properly, what do you think happened since the last time the system worked properly?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Unless there is some affliction with your system, no protected files should ever be missing..

There should be copies of the missing file (and all of the 3498 protected files) in other places on your system that you can use to replace (copy/paste) the missing file.  You just need to find a copy and copy/paste it back where it belongs.

The file belongs here:

c:\windows\system32

You can look for backup copies of the file here:

c:\windows\system32\dllcache

Depending on your installation, there might be a copy here:

c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

When you find it, copy and paste the file where it belongs.

The file should really never be missing in the first place.  There may be other copies on your system that you could find with the built in Search function, but if it is really missing from c:\windows\system32 and you don't have a good explanation for it being missing, you have another problem.

You should not need an XP installation CD and sfc /scannow will not help you (in case that comes up).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 30, 2018 Views 9,097 Applies to: