How can I remove one of the Microsoft Windows XP Professionals at start?

Original Title: How can I remove one of the startup programs? 

Once I turn my computer on and the start up menu comes up (black screen) it gives me two options to start up normally. One has my daughter as admin and I need to remove that one so that I am the only one with admin options in user accounts. 

It says, " Please select the operating system you would like to start", then under that it gives me two they both say "Microsoft Windows XP Professional, the top one is the one that my dd is selected as admin and the bottom one is the one I am admin with password and I have a user account for other uses in the home. I need to know if I can remove the first one and maybe this will speed up my pc? Could my pc doing double???

Thanks, Melissa A

Hi,

Are you trying to delete an user account or a multiple entry of an operating system?

Method 1: Login to the operating system on which you are the admin and try the following steps:

a)      Press Windows + R key on the keyboard

b)      Type “msconfig” and hit enter

c)      Select Boot tab

d)       Select Microsoft Windows XP Professional which you are trying to delete and select delete.

Method 2: You may also refer:

How to remove a second installation of a Windows operating system from a partition:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888023

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

@ Waseemulla Shariff - Microsoft engaged Support Engineer "expert":

Funny - when I look at msconfig, there is no Boot tab, there is a BOOT.INI tab though.

When there are multiple boot options listed in msconfig, there is also no "delete" to select.

Do you just never check to see if your own ideas actually work?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2017 Views 36 Applies to: