How can I recover Windows XP without Boot Disk?

I have a Compaq NW8240 with Windows XP Business with Service Pack 3.
The Laptop PC will not boot.  It give me the ability to enter BIOS and the hard drive is there and passes BIOS Tests.
I have a CD that allows me limited access to the hard drive (a type of DOS Boot).
All the files are still on the disk.  I believe that the boot record is missing or damaged.
I do not have boot disks or recover disk for this notebook PC.
Is there a way to create or download a boot disk that will allow me to correct the problems on my hard drive?

Answer
Answer

Hi Paul0211,

1.Did you make any changes to the computer recently?

2.What is the exact error message you get when trying to boot normally?

Method 1.

1-Turn off the computer you want to recover. Restart the computer, pressing the "F8" key after you start the computer, but before Windows starts to load. The computer will display boot options, including safe mode.

2-Use the arrow keys to navigate to and highlight safe mode. Press the "Enter" key to boot the computer into safe mode.

3-Click the "Start" button in the safe mode environment, and then click "Help and Support" to open the Help and Support page.

4-Click "Performance and Maintenance" on the Help and Support page, then click "Using System Restore to undo changes”.

5-Click "Run the System Restore Wizard." This starts the wizard. Select a restore point from the list of restore points in the wizard, and then click the "Next" button.

6-Follow the prompts in the wizard. The wizard will roll back the system to a known good state, reversing the damage and restoring the system to a working condition. The computer will restart after the roll back is complete.

Additional information: How to obtain Windows XP Setup disks for a floppy boot installation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Hope this helps.

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2020 Views 25,348 Applies to: