Future XP Updates

Regardless of what I may do with future versions of Windows, I will keep XP going in one of my computers for the foreseeable future in order to be able to work with data and software which may be incompatible with later versions.

My hard drives are partitioned so that the OS is in it's own partition.  The version is Sp. 3 and all updates are installed.  I keep C: backed up with Acronis, Macrium Reflect and EaseUS Todo but there is always that unforeseen situation where a complete install is necessary.

In the case of a clean install after XP is no longer supported, how can I obtain or install the updates?  For instance, can the update files, which I assume are $....$ be preserved and installed?  If so, how?
Answer
Answer
Thanks for all the information.  I'll file this away for possible future use.  I didn't perform any downloading just yet, because more files will presumably be added to the download before the support actually ends.

Just to make sure I have the instructions correctly, go to the "Windows Updates Downloader" page, click on "Update Lists", scroll down to Windows XP Service Pack 3, x86 and download the file.  Then executing that file should update the machine with all updates???

Correct?

Thanks again.
Not exactly...

If you are going to utilize the Windows Update Downloader, you have to follow their directions for use.  Which is essentially downloading/installing, running, choosing to get a new Update List (from within the program) and that will open a web browser taking you to a place where you can choose the Windows XP SP3 download and it will 'install it' or open it with the Windows Update Downloaded and then you can choose everything or get picky about what you want to download through its simple interface and start the download.  Then you will go to the download location and you will see a directory structure created with all the downloaded files in it.  That ~975MB (right now) is what you would want to file away for future use.
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 24, 2021 Views 4,468 Applies to: