"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache" and prompting for XP SP3 CD when performing SFC scan.

Windows File Protection

I ran what was suggestedfor  sfc /scannow.      . But as scannow was running, it kept asking for the following:::

Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.

Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 Disk now.

Choices:  Retry     More Info     Cancel

PROBLEM:  Service Pack 3 was a DOWNLOAD FROM WINDOWS UPDATE.

How do I get Service Pack 3 disk or the DLL Cache in order to continue this repair??.

What do I do now?

Hi dee339,

The process is not asking for the Service Pack 3 CD but for the Windows XP Professional installation disc with service pack 3.

·         Do you have the Windows XP installation CD?

·         How was Windows XP installed on the computer?

Since there are certain files that need to be repaired, the SFC scan is prompting to insert this CD to get the files. You will have to insert the installation CD in order to continue with this process.

For more information, see:

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Let me explain how this entire thing started.

I started to receive this  error message: which appears all the time.

1 - WINDOW FILE PROTECTION

FILES THAT ARE REQUIRED FOR WINDOWS TO RUN PROPERLY HAVE BEEN REPLACED BY UNRECOGNIZED VERSIONS.
TO MAINTAIN SYSTEM STABILITY WINDOWS MUST RESTORE THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF THESE FILES.
INSERT YOUR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL CD 2 NOW.

each time I tried to insert the above disk,, I received another message stating that it was the incorrect disk.
BUT IT IS THE CORRECT INSTALLATION DISK WITH SERVICE PACK 2.

I THEN WAS TOLD TO RUN SFC / SCANNOW, WHICH I DID WITH THE ONLY INSTALLATION DISK I HAVE WHICH IS : INSTALLATION DISK  WINDOWS XP W SERVICE PACK 2.

2 - BUT WHEN SFC /SCANNOW WAS RUNNING IT KEPT ASKING FOR
Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.

WHICH I ORIGINALLY STATED WAS A WINDOWS UPDATE DOWNLOAD.

MY ONLY RESOLVE, I THINK IS TO DELETE WINDOWS UPDATE OF SERVICE PACK 3.  AND STILL DO THE SFC / SCANNOW TO RESOLVE THE ORIGINAL ERROR MESSAGE.  HOPING THAT THIS WILL FIX the ORIGINAL ERROR MESSAGE.

I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT RUNNING SFC / SCANNOW WAS A WASTE OF TIME.
ALL I WANT TO DO IS REPAIR THE ORIGINAL ERROR MESSAGE (1).
AND I NEED SOME CORRECT STEPS TO FOLLOW... THIS ERROR MESSAGE KEEPS POPPING UP AT START UP OF THE COMPUTER AND SOMETIMES DURING THE USE OF THE COMPUTER.

HOPING THIS INFO WILL HELP YOU, SO YOU CAN HELP ME.
THX

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me explain how this entire thing started.

I started to receive this  error message: which appears all the time.

1 - WINDOW FILE PROTECTION

FILES THAT ARE REQUIRED FOR WINDOWS TO RUN PROPERLY HAVE BEEN REPLACED BY UNRECOGNIZED VERSIONS.
TO MAINTAIN SYSTEM STABILITY WINDOWS MUST RESTORE THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF THESE FILES.
INSERT YOUR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL CD 2 NOW.

each time I tried to insert the above disk,, I received another message stating that it was the incorrect disk.
BUT IT IS THE CORRECT INSTALLATION DISK WITH SERVICE PACK 2.

I THEN WAS TOLD TO RUN SFC / SCANNOW, WHICH I DID WITH THE ONLY INSTALLATION DISK I HAVE WHICH IS : INSTALLATION DISK  WINDOWS XP W SERVICE PACK 2.

2 - BUT WHEN SFC /SCANNOW WAS RUNNING IT KEPT ASKING FOR

WHICH I ORIGINALLY STATED WAS A WINDOWS UPDATE DOWNLOAD.

MY ONLY RESOLVE, I THINK IS TO DELETE WINDOWS UPDATE OF SERVICE PACK 3.  AND STILL DO THE SFC / SCANNOW TO RESOLVE THE ORIGINAL ERROR MESSAGE.  HOPING THAT THIS WILL FIX the ORIGINAL ERROR MESSAGE.

I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT RUNNING SFC / SCANNOW WAS A WASTE OF TIME.
ALL I WANT TO DO IS REPAIR THE ORIGINAL ERROR MESSAGE (1).
AND I NEED SOME CORRECT STEPS TO FOLLOW... THIS ERROR MESSAGE KEEPS POPPING UP AT START UP OF THE COMPUTER AND SOMETIMES DURING THE USE OF THE COMPUTER.

HOPING THIS INFO WILL HELP YOU, SO YOU CAN HELP ME.
THX

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the XP version and Service Pack of the afflicted system?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

When you see a message like this:

Windows File Protection
Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions.  To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Hopefully, you are curious to know what the file is and when you know that, you can decide what to do about it.  Until you know what the file is, you can't really decide what to do about it or how it happened.   But, you can sure try some things (how's that working out).

You should click Cancel, then click Yes to keep the file, then you will have an event to look at that will tell you what the problem file is.

Look in the Event Viewer System log to see what the file name is, then decide what to do.

When in the Event Viewer System log, look for the Event from Windows File Protection near the top (the most recent events) or click the 'Source' column heading to sort the events alphabetically by the Source name.  The 'Windows File Protection' events should be near the bottom of the list (since they start with 'W').

The event will look something like this example:

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    Windows File Protection
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    64005
Date:        1/10/2011
Time:        2:41:56 PM
Description:
The protected system file taskmgr.exe was not restored to its original, valid version because the Windows File Protection restoration process was cancelled by user interaction, user name is Jose.  The file version of the bad file is unknown.

When you know what the file is, you can decide what to do about it.  There may already be other copies of the file(s) on your system or you can get the file(s) from another trusted source - someone can upload the file(s) you need to their SkyDrive and you can download and replace the file(s) one at a time if there are not too many.  First you must figure out what the file is that XP thinks it needs.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box enter:

eventvwr.msc

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

Check your Event Viewer System log and look for an event sourced by Windows File Protection.

When in the Event Viewer System log, click the 'Source' column heading to sort the events alphabetically by the Source name.  The 'Windows File Protection' events should be near the bottom of the list (since they start with 'W').

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties window with more information.  On the right are black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of your issue, click the third button under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click, Paste or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.  Remove any personal information from your information after pasting if you are compelled to do so.

P.S.  Try to refrain from typing in all caps since it could be considered "shouting" and you don't need to be shouting yet :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. My installation CD from Dell is SP2 I believe (Rollup 2 it says). I upgraded to SP3 by Windows Update so I don't have a SP3 installation CD or a CD2. Why can't Microsoft answer this question??? I've spent all day looking for an answer. I'm having an (Explorer.EXE - Application Error, The instruction at "0x039d0e58" referenced memory at "0x00000000", The memory could not be read.) error and one website suggested sfc /scannow. Maybe Microsoft wants me to buy Windows 7 instead of helping me. Has anyone got a fix for this problem? If so, please post it here since Microsoft won't.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Look above for help with the Windows File Protection problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 and I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2012.

The reason I'm running sfc /scannow is because of this error I'm getting after trying to right click on a file in explorer to delete it...

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 2/4/2012
Time: 8:18:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MASTERCOMP
Description:
Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x02e30e58" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The Windows File Protection event viewer entries I get are:

Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event ID: 64021
Time: 6:23:30 PM
Description:
The system file c:\windows\ehome\ehcircl.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x000004c7 [The operation was canceled by the user.
].  This file is necessary to maintain system stability.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Time: 6:23:42 PM
Description:
The system file c:\windows\ehome\zh-chs\ehepgdat.resources.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject.

Time: 6:23:42 PM
Description:
The system file c:\windows\ehome\de\ehepgdat.resources.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject.

Time: 6:23:43 PM
Description:
The system file c:\windows\ehome\fr\ehepgdat.resources.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject.

Time: 6:23:44 PM
Description:
The system file c:\windows\ehome\ja\ehepgdat.resources.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject.

Time: 6:23:44 PM
Description:
The system file c:\windows\ehome\ko\ehepgdat.resources.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject.

Time: 6:23:50 PM
Description:
The system file c:\windows\ehome\ehiepg.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x000004c7 [The operation was canceled by the user.

Time: 6:23:53 PM
Description:
The system file c:\windows\ehome\ehituner.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x000004c7 [The operation was canceled by the user.

Time: 6:24:01 PM
Description:
The system file c:\windows\ehome\snchk.exe could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x000004c7 [The operation was canceled by the user.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Look above for help with the Windows File Protection problem.
I don't see anything above that helps me. I have a SP2 CD from Dell that came with my machine and upgrading to SP3 with Windows Update. And I don't have a CD2.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, you may have two problems...

The files that XP is complaining about are particular to XP Media Center Edition which I am not running and I loaned my CD and never got it back so I can't get the files for you to download (never loan your original CDs... or your tools).

Perhaps, some nice person can upload them to their SkyDrive and you can download them, but Microsoft has an article about those particular files that you can read about here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909059

In that article, they also say this:

Note These Windows installation files are not required by Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

Now I know it "feels good" when sfc /scannow runs to completion without complaining, but if you do not have an XP Media Center installation CD with Service Pack 3 on it, you are probably not going to be able to do that no matter what kind of XP you are running or even if somebody does upload the files for you.  You really need a MCE CD with SP3 on it, or sfc /scannow is going to complain - alot.

The way things usually work is you get your SP2 system and have a SP2 CD, then you download and install SP3 and it puts a bunch of updates on your system...  Then when you run sfc /scannow, it needs a source of "good" files to compare against and it will ask you for your installation CD.  If your installation CD is SP2 and you are running SP3, you are going to see alot of complaining (it doesn't mean you have a problem though).  You can use your SP2 CD to create a new installation CD with SP3 on it which would them make sfc /scannow happy, but that is another project I would save for later.

If Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) is crashing when you right click something, that is most likely some third party Explorer extension that is causing the problem and you can figure out what that is using these instructions:

When Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) is misbehaving (especially when right clicking), start to suspect third party Explorer extension add-ons.

Those would be Explorer extensions that do not belong to Microsoft.  That means extensions that you added.  Explorer extensions are usually okay and installing some applications will install Explorer extensions for you, give you a choice and sometimes they can be added without your knowledge when you install new software.

Explorer extensions are sometimes added as a new right click option you see on folders and files (like scan this file, open this file, play this song...).

If there is a particular thing you do when Exploring that you know will cause the problem, that will help zero in on the problem and help you know for sure when you have found and fixed it.  If you can make it happen anytime you want, make an adjustment and then there is no message the next time you do whatever it is you do, you have found and fixed it.

First you need a way to see what Explorer add-ons you have installed now and a way to disable them (not uninstall them) so you can figure out which one is causing the problem.  You may have lots of non Microsoft extensions installed you don't even know about.

Download ShellExView from here to see which Explorer extensions you have loaded:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

ShellExView doesn't install anything on your computer, it just runs and displays.

After you launch ShellExView, under Options, choose to "Mark Non-Microsoft Extensions" and the non Microsoft extensions will be in light pink, but on some systems that is a hard color to see, so click View, Choose Columns and move the Microsoft column closer to the top so you can see it on your screen without having to scroll left and right.

Next, click the column header for Microsoft to sort the display (by clicking the Microsoft column) so all the non Microsoft extensions are at the top and easy to see.

The non Microsoft extensions would be things you have added (non Microsoft) and are what you need to be suspecting.

You can also Google the name of a suspicious add-on and see if there are any hits regarding DEP errors and what other people have done about it.
You might Google something like:

<my-suspicious-add-on>  XP explorer crashing  (you have to fill in the name of your suspicious add on.

See what kind of search results hits you get and look for solutions or situations that sound like yours.

I am not a trial and error advocate, but I can't think of another way to do this...

Right click and disable the non Microsoft extensions one at a time (or perhaps in groups of 3-5 at a time) keeping a list so you can enable them again later if desired. The result of the change is immediate and no reboot is required.  Test your failure condition.  If Explorer starts to behave, you will know that some extension in that group of 3-5 is the culprit so you can start to enable them one at a time until explorer fails again.

If you recognize any extensions that may have been added or downloaded recently, start with those first.

Remember - disabling an extension does not uninstall the extension - it is just disabled so you can always enable it again.  That way you can toggle back and forth, enabled/disabled to be sure you have the correct extension under scrutiny.

Disable them one at a time until your right click does not generate an error, then reboot and test again to be sure the changes "stick".  That last extension you disabled would be the suspicious one.

You can also just disable all the non Microsoft extensions, reboot and enable them one at a time until you find the one that generates the condition.

If you have a lot of extensions, you could disable them is little groups, 3-5 at a time instead of 1 at a time until your system starts to behave.  When it does behave, you will know that the problem is one of the extensions in that little group and you can enable those in the group one at a time until the problem comes back, then the problem will be with the last extension you enabled.

The hope is that you will find the one extension that causes the error and then you can figure out what to do about it - either uninstall it or see if you can get an update from the maker of the extension from their web page.

I don't have your issue but I can when you disable/enable the extensions, the extension is immediately disabled, so disabling an extension does not seem to require a reboot but if you think you found the problem, I would reboot and retest anyway to really be sure the problem is gone.

If you post up a list of your non Microsoft extensions, maybe someone will recognize it as a potential problem.

If you find the offending extension that is the problem, please let us know what it is so I can add it to my list.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, but it asks for service pack 2, and I don't think I have the CD for it.....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 17, 2020 Views 10,773 Applies to: